1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor -- The (Hampton Roads, Va.) Daily Press,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Feb 4, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Sports Editor wanted: Are you an editor who respects print journalism traditions but understands digital media? We are searching for someone to oversee print and online responsibilities while pushing us forward in our mobile efforts. You will work with a veteran, award-winning staff. This group wants to be led further into the digital landscape whether through additional text alerts or other mobile initiatives. The Daily Press is located in Hampton Roads, Va., which includes such attractions as Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens and Virginia Beach. If you’re interested in this position, please e-mail your resume and links to clips or other projects to Cindy Laraway at claraway@dailypress.com. The deadline is March 1.

Per: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1231015

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Interesting.

Wonder where Nick Mathews went? He was the SE, right?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Houston. Online editor.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Correct. Announcement was made three days ago at the Chronicle.

5. NickMathews

NickMathews New Member

The news is true, yes. I resigned on Monday to accept the online sports editor position at the Houston Chronicle.

Leaving Newport News was one of the toughest decisions of my life.

I just can't say enough about my sports colleagues here at the Daily Press. They are the most amazing, hard-working people you will ever meet. The best in the business.

I will miss them greatly.

If you have any questions about the staff, paper or area, just PM me. I would be happy to help.

6. SeanKennedy

SeanKennedy Member

Yeah, Nick will be leaving us for the promise of more interesting running trails in Houston.

7. Don't know Nick, but worked there and left just before he arrived. I echo his sentiments on the staff at the DP. Best folks professionally, and journalistically I've ever worked with.

8. jeffpatterson

jeffpatterson New Member

As a former DPer, I can echo those sentiments. It would be very tough to find a better sports staff, and at the Daily Press' circulation size it's practically impossible.
    Nick leaves some big shoes (or aqua socks) to fill.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I'm just happy that the Tribune suits in Chicago actually are letting the Daily Press fill the position.

Why am I surprised? The editor of the paper left not long ago (a departure that, from all I've heard, wasn't of his choice) and they did not fill the position. They now have a content editor and a managing editor, but no overall editor.

They laid off 10 newsroom people in March. Others in the newsroom have left since then, and they had not filled any of the other vacated positions.

It is indeed a terrific staff, but (like many other papers) is handcuffed by unreasonable early deadlines. The local news hole isn't nearly what it was even a year ago since much of the sports section is filled by Tribune modules.

They have a solid corps of veteran sports writers who could easily have jumped to bigger papers if they had chosen to do so. Layoffs in recent years have claimed sports desk people, but only one sports writer. Only two sports desk people remain from five years ago, and are part of a universal desk.

Heck, they had to fill the SE position because replacing Nick will be like replacing two people as hard as he worked. Big shoes to fill.

10. Lynn Burke

Lynn Burke Member

Just a clarification. The content editor is actually the Director of Content, which is the equivalent of the editor in a reconfigured position. In effect, Marisa Porto, the content director, is the overall editor.

And I echo what On Deadline said that replacing Nick will be like replacing two people. And, like Nick, I'll be happy to answer any questions. Since I don't normally log on under my real name, e-mail me at lburke19@yahoo.com

Oh, whomever does get the job will inherit the responsibility of keeping the fridge stocked with Diet Coke!

11. jgilbert

jgilbert New Member

Congrats Nick. Hope you enjoy Houston. I know why they hired you, because I tried to hire you once. You obviously made the right move back then.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The Director of Content previously was Managing Editor/Digital Operations. They do a very good job on the website.

To clarify on desk people: A third sports desk person who was part time five years ago and became full time shortly after that also is part of the universal desk.

A lot of good people at the Daily Press, and you have to wonder how much better it would be there if it wasn't part of Tribune.

Draft saved Draft deleted