1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, The Emporia (Kan.) Gazette

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by DustGun100, Jun 16, 2008.

1. DustGun100

DustGun100 New Member

Hey everyone, just wanted to give you all a heads-up about a position that won't be advertised.

The sports editor at The Emporia Gazette has stepped down and is taking a different position at the paper, and they are looking to fill the SE spot as soon as possible. They aren't advertising the position, but they are encouraging people to apply.

It's a good gig. Emporia State has a very good D-2 athletic department, and Emporia High is a Class 5A high school. Lots of good area high school sports as well. They already have an ESU beat writer, and he's a good one. So the new SE will be on the high school beat.

I've been told that resumes, cover letters and clips can be sent to: The Emporia Gazette, Attn: Gwendolynne Larson, P.O. Drawer C, Emporia, KS 66801.

Have at it.

2. rolling

rolling Member

How does that work?

3. DustGun100

DustGun100 New Member

They're apparently trying to let people know through word of mouth.

4. s-m-r-t.

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Can tell you the No. 2 guy there is one of the best young writers in the state, and a good person. Great to work with.

Don't know much about the SE that is leaving, but haven't heard a bad word said about him and seemed like a good guy. Know the ME and couldn't think of a bad word to say if I tried.

Lots of good people there, and it's in a great location (45 minutes from Topeka, 90 minutes from Wichita and Kansas City).

Redesign a number of years ago made the Gazette one of the cleanest papers of its size anywhere.

Only issues there have been with the drawback of being a family-owned paper.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

In this day and age, HH, I'm not sure family owned has as many drawbacks.

7. Love_Sports

Love_Sports Member

if I'm coming in as the SE, I wouldn't want anyone telling me who already is doing what.

8. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

No kidding.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Maybe it makes sense to have some continuity on the top beat. If you were hired as an exec at ESPN you wouldn't go reassigning Rick Reilly and Bill Simmons to desk jobs just because you're in charge now.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That's not the point. The Emporia Gazette isn't ESPN, and the beat writer isn't Rick Reilly. Though I don't doubt he's better than Simmons; but that's not saying much.

Unless the writer is an absolute institution and the face of the paper, I'm not going into a job as SE with my hands tied.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I said maybe it makes sense, not that it's gospel. It's all about keeping an open mind. No doubt the beat writer isn't Reilly, but in Emporia that writer may be more revered.

12. Love_Sports

Love_Sports Member

agreed. they're already telling you how things will be run. this is what you cover. this is what he will cover. this is the way things will work.

then why the need for an SE? just promote from within and things continue as is.

Draft saved Draft deleted