1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, The Daily News, Jacksonville, N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tarheel316, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The Daily News of Jacksonville, N.C., is looking for a sports editor who can deliver local sports coverage using traditional and emerging technologies. Candidates should demonstrate a willingness to work in multimedia and to collaborate with other newspaper staffs to provide regional coverage. This management position will lead two full-time sports reporters and ensure comprehensive coverage of a sports community that includes 10 high schools, a semi-pro football team, a Marine Corps base and outdoor recreation. The sports editor will be directly responsible for creating and overseeing print and online sports content and will be expected to reach out to the community's school, base and recreational organizations. No traditional desk work is involved. Innovation and enthusiasm are job requirements. Candidates should have a degree in journalism or related discipline and sports-related media experience. For more information or to apply, contact Managing Editor Cyndi Brown by e-mail at cyndi_brown@freedomenc.com.

Kind of surprised this one came open. Prep sports there are great. The town not so (I lived there a total of 8 years when my dad was stationed at Camp Lejeune) great. But it is quite close to some fantastic beaches. Definitely not the worst place in the world. Caution that it is a Freedom shop. Jville also now does the desk work for the Kinston and New Bern papers. Not sure if that would impact the SE. It sounds like they might have a universal desk.
  2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

What happened to Paul Thompson? He had been the SE in Jacksonville for about three lifetimes. Also, with the sports desk operations that used to be separate in Kinston, New Bern and Jacksonville now converging in Jax, who oversees the FreedomENC cluster for sports?

Understood that people have apprehensions about Freedom, Tarheel316, but they're withstanding the job cutting onslaught as well as just about anyone else.
  3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Sam, I was thinking more about the salary situation. Freedom isn't known to pay real high. But then again, who is?
  4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

Well, yeah. But not many are going out of the way to offer comfortable salaries.
  5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Home of Ryan Adams.
  6. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Everything I know about Jacksonville, I learned from Ryan Adams songs. From what I can tell, soldiers fill the hotels on the weekends, the banks of the river run through the town and trains run like snakes through the Pentecostal pines there. Oh, and the town burdens Adams' soul, so you might want to watch out for that if you take the job there. That's all I've got. Hope it helps.
  7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Also, the leaves hang like effigies of his kin, which just sounds creepy to me.
  8. ondeadline

ondeadline Active Member

I worked there so long ago that my experience at the paper (which was decent considering it was my first job out of college) probably has nothing to do with how the paper is now, positive or negative. I can't imagine the town has gotten that much better, though. It wasn't a very pleasant place to live. If you absolutely love the beach, you could live in Swansboro or Emerald Isle and commute and it probably wouldn't be that bad.

They do have some decent athletes. Mario Williams is out of Richlands High School, for example. If you're looking for perfect water, that's the place to live. Richlands claims to be the "town of perfect water."
  9. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

Paul Thompson got out of the business. In real estate now, I believe...
  10. Headline act

Headline act New Member

Robert Holland was the SE when he let this young punk cut his teeth in the newspaper business. What a wonderful place to get experience. It won't pay much being the lowest paying county in N.C. but it was a great shop.
    When did you work there OD?
Draft saved Draft deleted