1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor/The Clarion-Ledger

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by GidalKaiser, Apr 24, 2013.

1. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

From jjobs.com
    -----
    The Clarion-Ledger in Jackson, Miss., is seeking a sports editor to guide coverage at Mississippi’s largest newspaper.
    The 11-person sports team won the Triple Crown in APSE judging this past year and is known for its excellent coverage of SEC football, outdoors and high school sports. The successful candidate will have a proven history of digital excellence, success in breaking stories and a portfolio of enterprise and watchdog journalism.

Key responsibilities include:
    Focus team on delivering unique, local, compelling content.
    Produce distinctive enterprise and break exclusive news ahead of competitors.
    Maintain a strong commitment to great storytelling
    Work with the digital and visual editors to provide rich, visually appealing packages across all platforms.
    Develop robust, must-read content in digital platforms, including breaking news.
    Edit stories as needed for quality; review important or controversial content; flag matters of taste and ethical questions.
    Plan coverage of big events well in advance.
    Work across the newsroom to ensure communication and quality.
    Minimum qualifications include five years in sports journalism and at least two years in a supervisory role.
    Please send a resume and supporting materials to Netalia Bradley, human resources director, at ntbradley@jackson.gannett.com. Please reference “sports editor opening” in the subject line.
    The deadline to apply is May 15.
    The Clarion-Ledger, owned by Gannett, is an Equal Opportunity Employer promoting a diverse, drug-free work environment. The employment process consists of a company-paid background check and drug screen. We offer competitive compensation, which includes benefits and a 401k.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

BIG BIG BIG shoes to fill, as Rusty Hampton is one of the best. It's Gannett, which means this place has been slashed like the rest.

RB

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yes and yes.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

What does the company have to do with it? It's a newspaper, which means it has been slashed like the rest.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Some companies (Tribune) quit paying for relocation. Others (McClatchy) still do. Some companies (Tribune) still have 401(k) match. Others (McClatchy) do not. Some have furloughs and 37.5-hour weeks. Others have neither.

There are still variables within companies that can make the decision make-or-break for some people.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I was referring directly to the line, "It's Gannett, which means it has been slashed like the rest."

Every single newspaper in this country has been slashed in the past 10 years to some degree. That this sports staff remains 11-deep is surprising and not bad.

7. HejiraHenry

And they do have the resources of other Gannett papers, including USA Today, to give them some stronger national content that the typical AP swill. But they were using Mike Lopresti's column to at least partly fill the vacuum caused when Rick Cleveland left, and now Lopresti is out.

These kinds of "statewide" job openings - and the C-L isn't nearly as statewide as it once was, and that is a thing Gannett perfected, if that's the right term - don't come along very often because they're so damned few such opportunities out there any more. Would be interesting to know management's intentions, if any.

8. HejiraHenry

Just a bump to see if anybody has head anything about this gig.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I talked to a guy from the C-L at the baseball state finals on Memorial Day weekend and he said they hadn't even interviewed anyone yet. So I don't imagine they've gotten to the hiring stage in two weeks' time.

10. HejiraHenry

I was told today that this job has been filled, but "We can't say the name."

Lord Voldemort was my first guess.

I was also told the name was "out there" (Fox Mulder? Pluto Nash?) but it's obviously not yet on here.

11. Brent.Wilburn

Brent.Wilburn New Member

I think I remember reading in another thread that it's Zack Creglow, the SE from Casper, Wyo.

12. HejiraHenry

That seems to be correct.

Draft saved Draft deleted