1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Tallahassee (Fla.) Democrat

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Sunshine Scooter, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

It's definitely taken people in Florida by surprise (not to mention this board). The guy was an FSU correspondent for at least one of the S. Florida papers, and wasn't turning any heads doing that. He seems like a good guy, so best of luck to him for sure, but yeah, you'd have to think there were better options out there, right? Right???

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what in the hell are you talking about?

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Are there a lot of decent SE candidates out there? I figure it can't be a position that is in the same demand as writing jobs, just cause writing is a bit more fun and being an SE is a whole lot of management crap.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

delete the word glamorous and i'll delete my post. no questions asked.

5. Yea, the hiring editor has probably stayed in Tallahassee since the '80s and survived a ownership change.

6. boots

boots New Member

I know the Demo. Got a plenty of friends there. It's a nice place. There is a lot of hope that the paper can finally carve its niche in the Florida market but again, it's Tallahassee. Don't confuse it with Tampa, or even Jacksonville or Daytona Beach. Hell, even the Gainesville paper has been known to kick the shit out the Demo at times.
    From what I've been told, the new guy has some good idea and talent. Hopefully, it will pay off. We wish him nothing but success.

7. Had a change in heart, boots?

8. boots

boots New Member

I'm still shocked by the move but I wish him well.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I wish him well or we wish him well? You speaking for others again?

10. boots

boots New Member

No one can speak for you big brother.

11. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Petty,
    Jim Lamar = former FSU correspondent for one of the S. Florida papers, Palm Beach I think. He wasn't overly impressive doing that, so it's even more surprising he would have it in him to lead a sports section. Is that any clearer??

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

Remember when SE jobs at 50K college towns used to matter?

Draft saved Draft deleted