1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Tallahassee (Fla.) Democrat

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Sunshine Scooter, Mar 12, 2007.

1. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Len Pasquarelli is reporting that Denny Green declined to interview

2. boots

boots New Member

Don't know about him but look for guys like Larry Starks, Leon Carter and Garry Howard to be in the running for the post.

3. dcdream

dcdream Member

So Boots tell me your real feelings about mentioning three of the four black sports editors in the nation. For you to mention these fine newsroom leaders at big papers to be in the running for a smaller paper is a bit assine and boarding the line of racism.
    I am glad we don't know your name because in my book, you would be screwed. Totally uncalled for.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I have to agree. Department head at a Gannett paper, no relocation costs? No chance, sorry.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Three of the six black SE's.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Why would Garry Howard leave Milwaukee for Tallahassee?

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think boots was just answering Freddie's crack about the Rooney Rule. Our computers don't recognize the Sarcasm Black font. I don't think boots is racist. Even though he is an ass.

8. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I think it's pretty clear what is happening here. Gannett is a company that prides itself on equal opportunity. But I'm guessing Tallahassee already has their new SE. By posting nil on relocation costs, that should chase away any real interest and get them around the company's Rooney Rule-type guidelines. ("Hey, Gannett Bosses, we didn't do EOE because no one applied!")

Cynical? Perhaps. But I'd wager it's true. Racism and quotas are alive and well in this business, not to mention sexism.

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

where is this job posted? i didn't find it anywhere other than here.

10. No moving expenses is fucking ridiculous for a sports editor ... absolutely insane ... this is the same chain that happily agreed to float me $1,500 after taxes for a two-state move when I was a three-year chump several years ago ... nothing close to an editor ...

Here's my theory: It's another way to help increase the profit that's going to Arlington. $70,000 for a sports editor ... sure there's a line item for that ... but not for "luxury items" like moving expenses and supplies ... sooner or later these fucks are going to run out of things to cut ...

My advice: stay away from this fucking job and this fucking chain.

11. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Hmmm...maybe a way around this no-relocation costs is to work like heck to get the job and then when they offer it to me, ask them if they will splurge for an extra phone line and new PC at my home in Erie, Pa. becasue it looks like I'm going to be needing it.

12. boots

boots New Member

I'm the ultimate ass. It was a joke. I know those three guys and they aren't moving anywhere. And they are good guys I might add. And no, I'm not a racist. At least that's what my therapist says.

Draft saved Draft deleted