1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Tallahassee (Fla.) Democrat

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Sunshine Scooter, Mar 12, 2007.

1. From the Gannet Web site:

Sports Editor TALLAHASSEE DEMOCRAT

Details
    Location: FL - Tallahassee Job Type: Media - Journalism - Newspaper, Executive
    Base Pay: $60,000.00 - $70,000.00 /Year Required Education: 4 Year Degree
    Bonus: Required Experience: At Least 3 Years
    Other: Required Travel: Negligible
    Employee Type: Full-Time
    Employee Relocation Covered: No

Description
    Experienced sports editor to lead a team of journalists covering community, high school, and major college sports -- including Florida State and Florida A&M athletics -- in print and digital environments.

Successful candidate should have proven track record. Should also understand the new world of 24-7 breaking news coverage in sports, be comfortable with an audience-driven approach to coverage, and know the value of blogs, podcasts, video storytelling, as well as hard-hitting print coverage.

Details
    The sports editor oversees all aspects of daily news and enterprise reporting, supervises an assistant sports editor, and a team of six other full-time reporters. The Tallahassee Democrat is a Gannett newspaper and provides coverage of FSU and FAMU athletics to our colleagues at three other Gannett newspapers and three television stations, as well as to Gannett News Service.

Requirements
    Three to five years experience leading a sports team.

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

This paper has changed a lot -- mostly for the better, I think -- since the Gannett takeover. They really seem to be emphasizing the online stuff, and doing so successfully.

I know a lot of the guys on the staff, and it's a good group. This is a section that's wanted a really top-notch sports editor for a while now. And for 60-70K -- if that's actually what they end up paying -- they just might get one.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Who left? And that sounds like some decent change, especially considering its Gannett. Though, kinda surprised they're not going to hook up the future SE with relocation expenses.

4. scalper

scalper Member

All you need to know about this job is the part where they say won't cover the cost to relocate. For sports editor? That's pathetic, if they're really looking far and wide for the best candidate.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What happened to Randy what's his name?

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

yeah. but at 70k, I can overlook that small problem.

7. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I think Randy's still around as "executive sports editor." If I'm not mistaken, Gannett brought in another guy to handle the day-to-day running of the section, whcih previously was handled by Ike Morgan.

8. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

How much daily work does the SE need to put in there? In other words, is this mostly an oversee/direct/inspire job or one where you're there until 10 helping do a couple of pages and making sure no one screws up? There's no mention of the desk staff.

9. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

No sense even applying. I'm pretty sure Jen Sterger has this job wrapped up.

10. boots

boots New Member

According to my sources this one is already decided up and is going through the formal Rooney rule stages.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

What, is Herm Edwards interested? (sorry, couldn\'t resist)

12. Side2Front

Side2Front New Member

70K in Tallahassee goes a pretty long way. They should get good candidacy.

Draft saved Draft deleted