1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor: Tahoe Daily Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Calvin Hobbes, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Bots have genders?

2. DarrenSBsports

DarrenSBsports New Member

So are you guys saying this is a bad gig. I am new to the board. Currently a sports editor in Tennessee and possibly looking to move out west.. Was interested in this one, but would like further input.

Thanks everyone..

3. Matt Stephens

Darren- I interviewed for this job in the spring when it was open. Came down to me and the other guy and obviously I didn't get it (which was my evil laugh joke). Steve, the SE before, had been there 20 years.

It's going to be a one-man desk, likely some stringer help when needed. South Tahoe is beautiful. I want to get back West eventually with my career, too.

Unless something has changed, pay is likely going to be $35,000 (pending experience), and there are enough $600-range apartments that should fit fine. Also, with Stateline, Nev. being so close, you can avoid that California gas tax.

Even though I didn't end up getting it, I was very appreciative of Annie and how professional and personable she was. I believe she's a fairly recent grad of UNR (a few years back) and has worked at at least one other paper in the Swift family.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Just occurred to me: How can the Daily Tribune be a three-times-a-week?

5. Matt Stephens

Online content.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

IIRC from the last time this was open, they were daily, but went 3x/week in a cost-cutting measure.

8. EGM67

EGM67 New Member

What is considered "a well-edited photography portfolio?" 4-5 photos? I don't think I have seen this in an ad for a sports editor position before.

9. Matt Stephens

I think it's because you'll be taking most of your own photos.

10. SoccerFan

SoccerFan Member

I know plenty about this position. PM if you want to know more.

11. JLawson

JLawson Member

I went to school with Annie, aka Flanz, and I worked at another Swift Paper. I'll say this about Annie, she's committed to putting out a good product and she's been that way for as long as I've known her. As for Swift it has its issues like every other chain out there but the previous SE was there for 20 years and became a part of that community. You'll get to cover the celebrity golf tournament and plenty of Winter Olympic athletes.

If you like the outdoors and cold winter weather apply for this job.

12. IamAwriter

IamAwriter New Member

Anyone know the status of this one, it's been open for a few weeks now...

Draft saved Draft deleted