1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Strasburg, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Northern Virginia Daily, the best small daily newspaper in Virginia, is seeking a sports editor.

Our four-person sports staff places a heavy emphasis on prep sports in a section that averages four pages daily. We also cover a small college and an NCAA-sanctioned wooden bat summer baseball league. The sports staff produces at least four special sections annually, plus other special reporting projects.

The ideal candidate will have strong writing, reporting and editing skills, will have page design and supervisory experience, and will demonstrate a flair for enterprise journalism. Strong organizational skills are essential. Daily newspaper experience is required.

The Daily is published mornings Monday through Saturday. The independently owned newspaper covers the beautiful Shenandoah Valley. Strasburg is just 80 miles from Washington, D.C., and about an hour from Metrorail.

Resumes, cover letters and examples of work should be mailed to Bob Wooten, managing editor, Northern Virginia Daily, 152 N. Holliday St., Strasburg, Va. 22657, or e-mailed to bwooten@nvdaily.com. Minority applicants encouraged.

No phone calls, please.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I shouldn't even have to say it at this point, but this is a good job.

3. Chuck McGill

Chuck McGill New Member

This is a great, great job. I will miss it dearly. If there are any questions I can answer, feel free to ask or PM me. I'll do whatever I can to help you.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

What's up with you? Where are you going?

And what happened with the sports writer opening you advertised for about two or three weeks ago?

5. Chuck McGill

Chuck McGill New Member

I'm headed to the Charleston Daily Mail to cover Marshall football and basketball.

We've filled the sports reporter positioned with a polished '09 grad from Penn State. He spent the summer interning for MLB.com with the Orioles. He's a sharp kid. Whoever inherits this staff will have a lot to work with.

Filling that position and my departure had absolutely nothing to do with each other, by the way. Complete fluke that this beat came open. Just odd timing with filling the reporter's position and me leaving.

6. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

Congrats on the new gig!

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Bullshit. :)

I kid, I kid.

Chuck loved being SE at the NVD more than any of the 3,978 SEs I had during my six-year tenure there. He got the ball rolling with a slew of online stuff, including a kick-ass Friday night football blog thingy. The new SE will inherit a damn good staff of full-time writers and probably the paper's best stable of stringers since the late 90s.

Quality job, and I expect a shit-load of resumes to pour in for this one.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Strasburg signs with the Nationals late last night. The Strasburg job is posted today.

Coincidence? Yes.

Draft saved Draft deleted