1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Stillwater, Okla.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by mlavieri, Apr 27, 2012.

1. mlavieri

mlavieri New Member

From JJobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1353400

2. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

If you don't get this one, take heart: You can apply again in a couple of months.

3. michaelbuhler

michaelbuhler New Member

What's the scoop on this position?

4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

This is open again?

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

The water might be still, but the SE position is a revolving door.

Sent my stuff a while back and was blown off. I think the guy was a bit intimidated.

6. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Three always felt like a lot for such a small paper.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

On the plus side, I hear the local college football coach is very media-friendly.

Maybe it's just me, but that's the totally wrong attitude to take in a college town where the local squad just finished in the Top 5.

8. The post-Dan Marino QB situation in Miami looks stable compared to this.

9. writingump

writingump Member

If you put prep sports on a pedestal above a Top 5 college football program in your hometown (bear in mind that the rest of OSU's athletic program isn't half-bad, either), that tells one all you need to know about this place's priorities.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

They're CNHI for starters. Most of the serious OSU coverage is done by the Tulsa and Oklahoma City papers for whatever reasons. They really aren't managed any differently than similar-sized papers that don't happen to be in a college town.

No way are they going to add staff just because there are a few college football and basketball games in town.

11. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Exactly. Sure, it's the hometown paper, but there's really not a reason for Stillwater to overload the Pokes coverage with a circulation at 7K. I honestly think it would be a bad coverage idea to do so because the market's saturation is going. Sure, you'd love to be the go-to source for OSU sports updates, but the truth is, you just can't.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Maybe part of the reason the circ is only 7K is they dropped the ball on OSU coverage. You're not covering Stillwater if you aren't covering Oklahoma State, both in sports and on the news side. Sure, OKC and Tulsa have some advantages with bigger staffs, but Stillwater has the advantage of being the hometown paper. Plenty of other small papers in college towns do fine against the area metros.

The other thing is CNHI also owns the paper in Norman. A company that actually wanted to try might figure out a way to take advantage with some sort of OU/OSU website or something.

Draft saved Draft deleted