1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Stillwater, OK

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Zagsfan83

Zagsfan83 Member

I applied for the gig. I'm currently an SE at a small, understaffed daily. I know all about horror stories.

Are the 2.5 pages a day pretty wide open? You'd think with three full-timers, those pages could be knocked out with local content.

2. dargan

dargan Active Member

That was awesome.

3. doggieseatdoggies

doggieseatdoggies New Member

The sad thing is in this economy, good people will jump at this job.

Just remember their last writer's ad. Offered $18K a year.

4. KUjhawk02

KUjhawk02 Member

It's very telling about a position when, given the state of the economy and so many people struggling to find jobs, there are so many words of caution basically saying you'd rather be unemployed than have this job.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I think that this could be a great job for the right person.

If you only had six months to live, this job in that town would probably make it seem like at least a decade.

6. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

It's not the town that's bad. Stillwater is a nice place.
    It's the chain that is horrid.
    Read again: CNHI.

7. doggieseatdoggies

doggieseatdoggies New Member

But everyone is cutting, everyone is on furloughs, and others pay below $20,000 a year. Just look at our jobs page.

Why does CNHI still suck above the rest?

8. Precious Roy

Because they are the kind of company that is actively hating their employees by hiring publishers with the sole intention of running off good people to either: A) Cut the job entirely or B) run off the older guys so they can hire a guy right out of school that doesn't know any better for $8 an hour and make them work 80 hours a week and only pay them for 40.
    As a person that went through B as the young guy coming in that didn't know better and just thought that's the way it was in the business. Now I have a few years, a couple of jobs and much better employers under their belt I would NEVER return to CNHI. I think I would go work at Wal-Mart as a greeter than take a job from them again after such treatment like...
    Not direct quotes, but paraphrasing the treatment
    "Well, he may work until 1 a.m. putting out the paper, but if he doesn't show up at 8 a.m. the next morning he isn't doing his job."
    Or another, from the publisher...
    "I know that source lied to your face and you went with a story, but since he is my son's friend he is in the right and you are in the wrong. You are a bad reporter and we're going to hire the guy in our advertising department and treat him like a king because he says you ruined his chance to play pro basketball." (I didn't, he never had a chance)
    Or maybe the classics like choosing either mileage or the two hours spent to get to an event, a horrible ad department that spent all day on ass while bitching that we weren't doing our job or just the fact that many CNHI papers are in small towns where Golden Cows are not only worshiped, they are given many blatant and horrible favors. For example: The biggest Golden Cow in the town I worked in sold GREEN meat. Not just bad, rancid. Packaged with the rancid side upside down and put to market. Did we run a story about that? Nope, cause they bought ads. However, we did run a bunch of stories about how horrible Wal-Mart was because they were going to come into the town and build a Supercenter. Made up a bunch of B.S. about why it was bad for the town but it was really because Wally didn't advertise (the town already had a basic Wal-Mart, they just wanted to move in the grocery side).
    Sorry, rant over, I just hate CNHI so much.
    I'm so glad that rag got shut down, that town now has a family weekly there. I hated those people too, but maybe they are better.

9. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Karma.

10. Precious Roy

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Schadenfreude

Draft saved Draft deleted