1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Stillwater, OK

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Sports Editor: The Stillwater NewsPress, a 7 day CNHI award-winning newspaper in Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University, seeks an energetic sports editor who is ready to take our college and preps coverage to unmatched levels. In Stillwater, you'll have a staff of 2 to cover a Big 12 university and several successful high schools. You must be ready to lead that staff, design awesome pages and write great stories to go on those pages. You must be committed to immediate multimedia presentations. Knowledge of Quark, Photoshop necessary. Knowledge of iMovie, online software programs puts you in front. Stillwater is a fast-growing community in a city where everything is orange, even the buses. Send resumes to prnelson@cnhi.com

2. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

staff of two, huh?

3. SE plus staff of two. SE can write as much as he or she needs to.

Great college town. Slower pace for family person. Not too far from Tulsa or OKC.

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

2under and I thought the same ... A staff of THREE in a D-1 college town virtually ensures sub-standard Cowboys coverage. Not to mention sub-standard high school coverage in an attempt to pay ANY attention to the Cowboys. And design? Please. Projects? Hah!

"The SE can write as much as he/she wants", to me, is code for "do you prefer a 60- or 70-hour week?"

RB

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

But for most right now, it's code for, "do you prefer a job or unemployment?"

6. Rockbottom

Touche, Riddick. Though I am currently the latter, I would suggest that the aformentioned roadblocks do not exactly make me pine for the former in that case.

Stillwater seems, given the current information, WOEFULLY unprepared to do quality work. That was my overreaching point.

rb

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

All you have to do is get less than 10 words into this job description...

8. nogood12

nogood12 Guest

I'm familiar with the situation and can answer any questions you may have.

9. CornFlakes

CornFlakes Member

You could call Oklahoma State SID Kevin Klintworth and feel him out on the paper and find out if the Oklahoma State coverage has been adequate or woefully poor.

If you do accept the job, you will already have began a relationship with the most important media contact you will be dealing with.

10. Rockbottom

Due respect, Cornflakes, but I have worked in similar markets before. Three FT peeps covering BCS-level athletics + high schools simply CANNOT cut it. Say one (which is a HUGE stretch, and results in, at best, mediocre work ...) Stays back to draw lines on a Saturday night. That leaves two at the stadium. For me, and I have a smidge of experience with this, that is about half of what you need to do a solid job.

Three isn't enough. Not even by half, if you ask me.

RB

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's not really a large town by university city standards. Not sure what the circ is, but I've been there several times.

So, no they aren't going to scoop the Oklahoman on OSU stuff and they aren't going to have 8 stories on every football game. They just don't have the space, or the staff. It is what it is: a small daily that just happens to be located in a university town.

That being said, it would be a damn good opportunity for someone who is passionate about college sports but isn't getting a shot at some metro. You could shape coverage however you wanted: gamers, features, notes, columns, blogs, video, etc. Not sure what the travel budget is, but most places in the Big 12 are driveable, so that would be a plus.

If you're big into college sports and like that part of the country (neither of which is true for me), I would check into this.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Two at the stadium at home would be about all you'd ever get. Probably no more than one on the road. Heck, the whole section probably isn't more than 4-5 pages. Where are you going to put all the glowing prose you write?

Even though you are a hometown paper, you're never going to be any better than No. 3 in the market (behind OKC and Tulsa) when it comes to OSU stuff. I suspect management realizes that and accepts its lot in life accordingly.

Draft saved Draft deleted