1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor (Stigler Okla.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jay Sherman, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

From JJobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=843689

News Sentinel Inc., located in beautiful Eastern Oklahoma, is seeking a skilled and self sufficient Sports Editor to oversee sports coverage for 5 small school systems. Requirements include at least 3 years at a weekly or daily newspaper, proficiency in digital photography, Photoshop and InDesign. If you are interested please call Linus Williams Jr. at 918-967-4655 or 918-618-3363. Please feel free to email your resume to linus@stiglernews.com

Hello My name is Linus Williams Jr. and I am the Vice President of News Sentinel Inc. Our family run publishing and printing business has served Eastern Oklahoma for over 60 years. We need quality people who want a career with an honest company. Please call today to learn more. Thank you for your interest, Linus Williams Jr.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

The Web site is under construction. I guess the Internets were slow to reach eastern Oklahoma.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This paper cannot be very big at all (Update: It's a weekly according to okpress.com.). Stigler is tiny, and the area is surrounded by bigger dailies in Muskogee, McAlester and Fort Smith.

Sounds like a good entry job, but it also sounds like the publisher is only hoping to get someone with experience. With the state of the industry today, he just might.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sorry for the bump, but I was in Stigler today. Bought gas and dropped a deuce. The town is big enough for a Wal-Mart Supercenter and McD's. The daily paper sold here seems to be Muskogee. No sign of the Swatter, sadly.

LOL.

5. redsox99

redsox99 Member

swtr cut delivery to some outlying areas several years ago. stigler may still get some sports coverage, but news side really doesn't go out there much anymore unless it's a huge story.

6. doggieseatdoggies

doggieseatdoggies New Member

I'd guar
    Muskogee doesn't cover Stigler much, though, due to the CNHI handlers making that paper closer to the Tahlequah paper it owned and gutted before buying Muskogee. Muskogee in this decade was covering 30-35 schools, now it's more like 15. Most of the Stigler people are there for rehabilitation from years at the CNHI papers in the area, like McAlester. But it's a tiny town and you won't get more than 20K for the job. That said, it's a laid-back, home-grown management. If you like being around good people and eating RAMEN noodles, it's worth a shot.

Come to think of it, didn't Stillwater, another publication in the shackles of CNHI, advertise an $18,000-a-year sports job covering Oklahoma State recently?

Draft saved Draft deleted