1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Sterling, Ill.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JB20, Jul 13, 2009.

1. JB20

JB20 Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1072394

It says the last SE went to the Chicago Tribune, but does anyone know what he'll be doing?

2. http://apse.dallasnews.com/news/2009/july/071009great_lakes.html

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Fantastic paper and a good staff. I'd be willing to answer questions on the area and what the paper was like as of a year or two ago.

4. What's with all the quality openings lately? Anything to it, or just coincidence?

5. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

APSE site says he became asistant sports editor for high schools.

This comes 2 1/2 months after massive layoffs at the paper, including the high school editor.

So it appears they are shedding veteran staff for cheaper people. I read someone they were hiring people with two-year contracts. Not sure if this guy is one of them.

And those laid off at the Tribune couldn't even stay on at the new pay grade.

6. RickStain

I can't speak for him, but I really doubt he would have taken the job without some sort of real guarantee. He had turned down some other, bigger jobs to stay in Sterling where he felt there was some job security.

7. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Good paper with a good staff. Lots of preps to cover. I believe they dumped the sunday paper and now put out a weekender. Was told management asked around for advice on which day to drop, Monday or Sunday, and this may come as a shock, but sport's request of monday was ignored.

8. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

It never comes as a shock when sports' requests are ignored.

It comes as a shock when sports' opinion is solicited ... :D

9. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

good point dave

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

From this thread and another on the Journalism topics board, we know this much:

RickStain hearts new Tribune preps czar.

Discarded veteran Tribune employees be damned.

11. RickStain

I can't stand him personally. At all. Not even a little.

But I'll stand up for his professional abilities all day long. He's completely qualified for his new job, regardless of how crappily the Tribune treated its former employees.

12. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

My apologies for the DB ... just didn't recognize it when I saw "Sterling" rather than Sauk Valley.

But what I said on that thread holds true: Paul Skrbina is a heckuva guy and will be a tough act to follow.

Draft saved Draft deleted