1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor- St. Joseph, MO

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, May 15, 2014.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1187101

Company: St. Joseph News-Press / NPG Newspapers Inc.
    Position:
    Seeking Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Job ID: 1187101

Description:

SEEKING SPORTS EDITOR

News-Press & Gazette Co. of St. Joseph, Mo., is seeking a locally focused sports editor to lead staff efforts in our community of 80,000 residents and the surrounding two-state region. This includes quality content and packaging for the print edition (the News-Press), engaging contributions to our digital platform (newspressnow.com) and social media channels, and support for sports content on the broadcast television station (FOX 26 KNPN) that is part of our converged newsroom.

This is a hands-on position that requires both leadership and reporting skills. The ideal candidate has had experience in a sports editing/reporting role with demonstrated skills in multimedia journalism, teamwork, staff management and interactions with sources and readers. A commitment to encouraging the staff as it uses and adds multimedia skills also is expected. Candidates from the Midwest are strongly preferred.

The minimal requirements include a four-year college degree with a concentration in journalism or communications, plus several years of practical experience. A valid driver’s license and a safe driving record also are required. Employment is contingent on passage of a drug screening and a background check.

Prospective candidates should make their interest known as soon as possible. To apply, send a brief letter of introduction, current resume, names of three references, and three to five examples of your best work to Dennis Ellsworth, Executive Editor, St. Joseph News-Press. Emailed applications are welcomed at dennis.ellsworth@newspressnow.com. The mailing address is 825 Edmond, St. Joseph, MO 64501; the phone number is (816) 271-8550.

The St. Joseph News-Press is an equal opportunity employer.

More about this opportunity with the News-Press:

Our coverage area is a rich environment for someone passionate about sports. The News-Press distributes about 25,000 copies daily across 21 counties in Northwest Missouri and Northeast Kansas. The prep sports tradition is strong in this part of the world. In addition, we are home to two NCAA Division II programs (Northwest Missouri State University and Missouri Western State University) and one NAIA program (Benedictine College in Atchison, Kan.).

We also are host to the highly competitive St. Joseph Mustangs of the MINK summer collegiate baseball league and for the past four years have carried the title of “Summer Home of the Kansas City Chiefs” with the NFL team moving its training camp to Missouri Western. We also have competitive junior weightlifting programs, a boxing scene and active adults and youth involved in everything from hunting and fishing to softball, soccer and golf.

Finally, with St. Joseph located about 45 miles north of downtown Kansas City, Mo., our region includes many fans of the Chiefs, Royals, Cardinals and Sporting Kansas City; programs of the Big XII North, starting with Missouri and Kansas; and NASCAR, which runs races at the Kansas Speedway.

Our primary focus always is our local athletes and competitions, but we seek balance in our coverage to meet these diverse interests. Our staff includes three full-time reporters and editors (including the sports editor) and seven part-time reporters and clerks. We also occasionally use freelancers and seek to develop more user-generated content.

2. Decadent

Decadent New Member

Missouri is no longer in the Big XII North.

3. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Any insight?

4. Decadent

Decadent New Member

I have been to the city before (if you're asking me). It had character.

5. bmereness

bmereness Member

I am working here currently so any questions shoot me a message or ask on here.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

On Missouri? They jumped to the SEC and lost their men's basketball coach. Oh, and one of their football players admitted he was gay.

7. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

I knew a couple of the folks at KQ2 News, the local ABC affiliate, before they left for other opportunities. St. Joe is also the birthplace of Kansas State football coach Bill Snyder.

The city is nice - I always enjoy the giant moose in front of the Stoney Creek Inn whenever I'm in the area - and plenty of sports to keep a person busy.

8. awriter

awriter Active Member

I haven't read the section much lately. But I can tell you a long line of people, particularly in sports, have used the News-Press as a launching point to bigger and better things.

9. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

They have some hard-working people there, including a couple of buddies of mine. Their large high school coverage area spans both Kansas and Missouri.

10. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Prep coverage is Northwest Missouri and parts of Northeastern Kansas in this historic town.

11. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Awesomesauce for the reply.

12. awriter

awriter Active Member

Coverage of Mizzou, Kansas State and Kansas was limited, at least back in the day. They would do spot features on local athletes playing there. If there was a big football game at Arrowhead or if the Big 12 hoops tournament was in K.C., they would cover that. They would also cover Chiefs home games, the occasional road game and training camp, which is now in town. They didn't do much with the Royals. The big focus was high schools, particularly those in St. Joe, and Missouri Western and Northwest Missouri State. Again, it was a good place for someone willing to bust their ass on the way to bigger things ... or for someone who simply prefers a smaller town.

Draft saved Draft deleted