1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor/Sports News Reporter, Concord [NC]

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by KevinmH9, Jul 2, 2008.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Company: Concord Standard & Mt. Pleasant Times
    Position:
    Sports editor/spot news reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $15,000 to $20,000
    Ad Expires:
    August 6, 2008
    Job ID: 946081

Description:
    The Concord Standard & Mount Pleasant Times community weekly is seeking a sports editor/spot news reporter who understands a good-old high school centered sports report and knows how to run a one-person sports department. You'll need to know how to write clean copy, shoot digital pictures, manage stringers, and if you have pagination skills with Indesign, we might actually do a backflip for you. If you don't, we'll teach you. Excellent training ground, fun work environment, great town. You'll love it! Email Beth Feeback at beth.feeback@concordstandard.com, with electronic resume and clips. Meanwhile check us out at www.concordstandard.com.

Anyone know anything about this place?

2. Seems a little low for an editor. This looks like a job for someone just out of college.

3. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Lowes Motor Speedway, Concord Mills, Charlotte. None of which you can enjoy with that salary.

4. None of which I'd enjoy anyway.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I grew up there and turned out fine, so I'll say it's a nice place to raise a family -- but not on that salary. I was long gone before this paper got off the ground. I've read it a couple of times, and it looks to offer coverage of two high schools (the traditional big dog in town and a smaller country school) and local motorsports. I don't know much about the paper, but I know where to get a messy cheeseburger. PM me for any details that I may be able to answer.

6. You don't take an SE job in North Carolina unless you have an appreciation for NASCAR coverage. Like it or not, it's part of the terrain. You have to know your market.

7. Scouter

Scouter Member

It should be noted that the ad is also for a spot news reporter, not sports news reporter like the thread title says.

8. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Yes, my bad. Typo.

9. Editude

Editude Active Member

At a previous shop, an editor was reprimanded and docked a merit raise for the continual use of "my bad" when something went wrong. That might be an overreaction, but getting the job description wrong in a listing, as an aspiring journalist, is weak.

Draft saved Draft deleted