1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Southern Rhode Island Newspapers

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Jun 19, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Southern Rhode Island Newspapers, a group of award-winning weeklies and a bi-weekly, seeks a sports editor who has a passion for local prep sports. Candidates must have strong editing and page layout experience using Quark and Photoshop and good leadership skills to work with players, coaches, reporters and stringers in order to meet deadlines and to produce a geat product.
    Loyal sports readership expects comprehensive coverage of local leagues and Univ. of Rhode Island programs. We're located within minutes of beaches and we're a short drive from Providence. We offer a full range of benefits including vacation, sick and personal days, 401-K, insurance and more. An equal opportunity employer.

Please forward resume and samples to Joel Barrett, Executive Editor, at jbarrett@ricentral.com or fax to 401-789-4907

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Be very wary of this one. I know another poster on here who works there and I'm sure he could tell you more about what a disaster this place is right now, but he might want to lay low, so I'll put in a few words about it.

The former SE walked out in the middle of a production day last week and a photog and possibly a copy editor all walked out within the same news cycle.

Writers often shoot their own assignments despite having two full-time photographers on staff (well, until last week, that is) and they're given basically point-and-shoot digital cameras to do it with (the kind you'd take to the bar to get photos of drunk girls throwing up the shocker).

There's more that I'm really not supposed to talk about, but -- and I think that certain poster would agree -- it's a sinking ship.

I'll answer any other questions I can or refer questions to the person on SJ who works there.

3. Now that's a ringing endorsement!!!

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Is this the group that just got spun off by JRC?

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

This group bought the paper from JRC. I've had no problems thus far, but I've only been here for three months.
    If you want to work with at last one person who cares about doing good work, then it might be a good gig.
    Oh, and you may need a part-time job on the side. Rentnear the home office is expensive as hell.
    Not mentioned in the posted ad is the editor lays out six different papers in three days.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

From what I'm hearing, we're close to a hire.
    Fortunately, the kid appears to be good at layout.
    Unfortunately, he can't write worth a damn and by reading his stories, can't edit either. Sweet.

7. So he's going to be "editing" your stories? Grrrrrrreat!!!!!!

8. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Member

not that i should really care how brutally honest your being about your job and your potential hire but arent you even a little bit worried about your bosses figuring out you're badmouthing the whole operation on here? i cant imagine it would be too difficult for people inside your shop to figure out who you are. just sayin...

Draft saved Draft deleted