1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor (South Lake Tahoe)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TahoeDailyTribune, Feb 17, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Maybe they figure since they have the webs, they still count.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Noticed that too. Was it a daily at one point and they cut back, but just kept the name due to familiarity and branding?

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, shit, that can be said about the overwhelming majority of jobs on this board and in this industry. We've been over this before, but.... If one's goal is to live a semi-affluent life and raise a family, they are looking in the wrong neighborhood.

4. nmsports

nmsports Member

OK, along these lines, any guess on what this might pay?

5. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

Steve Yingling must have left or is leaving. Beautiful area. South Tahoe High is big cross country school. Cold weather, snow, would get to me.

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Yea, recent article said Steve left after 20 years. I wonder why?

7. thebigd

thebigd Member

Obviously it's a great area to live in. It is a 1-person staff and you have 2 high schools to cover. I believe there is no or limited pagination.

8. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

Can't recall if Yingling's home was burned down in that big fire they had a couple of years ago. His kid ran cross country, probably graduated. Maybe he thought it was time to leave. Can't be a good sign if the paper is only three days a week. I think it used to be a daily. Economy blows up there, for the most part.

9. rbuchan

rbuchan New Member

I grew up in Tahoe and was an intern at the paper a few years back. The Tahoe Tribune was once a five-day a week publication, and a few years ago they cut it down to three. The paper is owned by Sierra Nevada Newsgroup which owns papers in Carson City, Minden, Truckee, and North Tahoe as well. They have had a lot of cutbacks and have done a ton of layoff the last few years. The office is full of empty desks.
    When Steve was there, he paginated about three to five pages three times a week.
    I am wondering why Steve left as well. I know his house was one of those that was burned down in the Angoura, but I thought he was going to rebuild.
    From my experience living in Tahoe, it is a great place to visit, one of the best in the world, but a bad place to live. Tahoe gets a lot of snow. My last year I lived there, which was in 2005, there was snow from October to June. In May, the snow berm in front of my house was seven-feet high.
    One of the perks of working at the Tribune is the American Century Classic, a celebrity golf tournament that features athletes such as Michael Jordan, Jerry Rice, Wayne Gretzky, Dan Marino, Emmitt Smith, Charles Barkley, Joe Carter and many more.

10. SoccerFan

SoccerFan Member

I am very familiar with this posting. PM me if you would like to know information about possible pay, cost of living, the paper, etc.

11. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

This one if filled.

Draft saved Draft deleted