1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Simsbury, CT

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JKelly12, Jun 7, 2011.

1. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

From J-Jobs:

Company: The Valley Press
    Position: Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: July 12, 2011
    Job ID: 1260048

Description:
    KNOW SPORTS? -- from little league to high school and prep -- then we have an opening for you. The Valley Press is seeking an energetic, talented sports writer to join our staff. Our coverage area includes six towns in the beautiful Farmington Valley of Central
    CT. The ideal candidate will be able to develop relationships with coaches and understand how important sports coverage is at every level of the game. Excellent writing skills (and the ability to write game stories, features and columnes), photography skills and some layout skills are required. Experienced and recent grads both encouraged to apply, we're looking for enthusiasm! Send resume to: egunderson@thevalleypress.net

2. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

Anybody familiar with this one?

3. doctorx

doctorx Member

Troy, Ala., also wants someone who can turn out "columnes." Might this also be a Boone paper?

4. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

I'm guessing the ad wasn't written by anyone in the newsroom. If it was, that should tell us all we need to know about this place.

5. Kaleb_R

Kaleb_R New Member

Couldn't agree more @JKelly12. Also like how the ad says: "...from little league to high school AND (caps mine) prep..."

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If you take this job, go to Plan B.

Thank me later.

http://www.planbburger.com/flash.html

7. BigBlue

BigBlue New Member

It's a weekly, and a fairly crappy one at that. The paper covers a half-dozen or so high schools in the area but doesn't really do a good job at it. I've heard the management is atrocious, and more often than not, you'll be doing asinine deskwork and making sure the pictures of all the Little League teams in the area are cropped just right so that they can all be included each week.

And they'll throw about $40,000 at you, but it won't get you very far in that area. It's the nice suburbs of Hartford.

Run. Far. And never look back.

8. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Simsbury will always hold a special place in my heart because it's the first place I ever had to FOIA for arrest records (they weren't put online) to write a story that ended up getting picked up by deadspin and the AP, resulting in me getting threatened.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Good luck getting a decent quote from anyone in town:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Stop assaulting referees!

Oh, and Mystery Meat ... I LOL'd

11. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

I made some calls on this one. STAY FAR AWAY. Salary is true, sports are decent, but the publisher is impossible. From what I was told, he got rid of two experienced guys who worked their tails off within an hour because he threw a temper tantrum. One was hired six months prior after about 15 years at a daily.

These guys were working sick hours, something like 11 stories a week plus pagination duties.

Don't say you weren't forewarned.

12. ChrisMaza

ChrisMaza Member

Posting has disappeared from JJobs.com. Anybody heard anything on this?

Draft saved Draft deleted