1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Selma, AL

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Selma Times-Journal a six-day morning newspaper located in East Central Alabama, has an opening for a sports editor. Our community’s sports editor will focus heavily on our coverage of the area’s seven high schools and our youth sports activities. Duties include game coverage, feature and enterprise writing, column writing, and photography. Our sports editor will also design all sports pages and assist with other page layout as assigned. A thorough knowledge of Quark and InDesign is preferred. Applicants must have a good driving record, dependable transportation. Pre-employment drug screen is required. The Times-Journal offers competitive pay and benefits, a friendly work environment, and advancement opportunities with our parent company, Boone Newspapers, Inc. The Times-Journal is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Send a cover letter with wage requirement, resume, writing samples and layout samples to SPORTS EDITOR, The Selma Times-Journal, P.O. Box 611, Selma, AL 36702. Or, e-mail: dennis.palmer@selmatimesjournal.com.

2. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

WTF? Is this place a one-man show?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Pretty much, yeah

4. times38

times38 Member

yeah. it's Boone.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Selma is not in east-central alabama. Central from north to south, yes. It's in the western half of the state, though.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Selma is in the middle of nowhere.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Far more accurate

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'll vouch for the editor as good people who will work your a** off. I can't vouch for anything else on this one.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Dennis Palmer gave my job away when I came back from a deployment with the Guard. 'Nuff said.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hope you collected a nice settlement when you took him to court...

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Nah. They covered themselves by offering me a comparable job about 100 miles away. It was time to move on, anyway. I wound up in Tupelo ... a much, much better situation.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Tupelo is in a much better portion of Middle of Nowhere. Prettier, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted