1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor- Sedalia, Mo

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ColdCat, Dec 28, 2015.

1. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

from jjobs
    JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Editor

We have an immediate opening for a full-time sports editor. This position's duties include but is not limited to handling general assignments, including high school, college, community sports and outdoors coverage for the sports section and website. The successful candidate must be willing to go above and beyond to explore sports issues throughout our coverage area while also providing extensive coverage of our local, high school and community college sports scene. This position requires building a personal brand on Twitter and as a blogger; must also be able to shoot, edit and produce video for sedaliademocrat.com, and use social media to further the reach of the Democrat's audience. Flexible schedule required which includes nights and weekends. Two years of experience and a degree in journalism preferred. We are in a sports-crazy market, having a vibrant local sports community as well as being in close proximity to the University of Missouri in Columbia as well as coverage of the Kansas City Royals and the Kansas City Chiefs. We want someone with a vision and a person capable telling compelling stories that other newspapers might miss. Send resumes and clips or links to Editor Tim Epperson, tepperson@civitasmedia.com. The Sedalia Democrat is a part of Civitas Media with 100 publications throughout the Midwest and the South.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Anyone know of the pay range?

3. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

around 25k

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

State Fair Community College is expanding its athletic program so there will be more to cover on that beat than men's and women's basketball. And they finally moved the basketball teams out of the exhibition hall on the fairgrounds into an actual gym. But that's all I got.

5. HandsomeHarley

This actually is my hometown, where I was born and half-raised. But even at my meager earnings where I'm at, that would be a lsight paycut.

Besides, I don't know if you can ever go home.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Who says you can't go home? (With apologies to Bon Jovi.)

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Civitas should be a giant red flag. They recently cut the desk from a 2-man staff to 1-man, covering 15 high schools and the JuCo
    I've been told that the Civitas design hub rarely knows what it's doing and, sorry since you are from there HH, but it's a town where there is nothing to do (from what I am told).

8. HandsomeHarley

I've only been back a couple of times since the 1970s.

No need for apologies.

It is the home to the Missouri State Fair, which fills up the motels all the way to I-70. It's also 90 minutes from Kansas City, which is pretty cool. State Fair Community College is nothing to brag about, but the University of Central Missouri (formerly Central Missouri State) is a half-hour away.

However, since I-70 doesn't run through there (20 miles or so to the north) and it was a railroad town (Katy), it has been dead for years.

A lot of racism seems to exist still, as well, but that's from a now-outside observer's point of view.

All that said, a one-man staff is ridiculous on so many levels, especially given the amount of social media crap is in the description.

Liut likes this.
  9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

This. I wouldn't go anywhere near that shop.

10. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Doesn't sound very appealing since there's simply too much work for one person, although updating on their community college is good news for Sedalia ecomony . Heard there's more Russian-grown refugee christians than anywhere in the nation in Sedalia, whatever that's worth, which is not much. Also 30 miles from Warrensburg, and about 1 1/2 hours to both Kansas City and Columbia.

11. HandsomeHarley

FWIW: Birthplace of Scott Joplin of ragtime fame, baseball player Zack Wheat (Dodgers), and professional wrestler Doug "Ox" Baker.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the clincher. I've got to move there now.

HandsomeHarley likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted