1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor: Sandusky (Ohio) Register

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BYUSportsGuy, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Twinkilling

Twinkilling Guest

Seems like almost every job listed here has a "horror show" aspect to it. But, then, I only read the Sandusky and Roswell threads.

2. I'm just glad people are willing to come in here and out the bastards in this business. It's one of the only ways to level the playing field.

3. ThuggishRuggish

ThuggishRuggish New Member

Word is that the only legitimate candidate they've brought in thus far was former Plain Dealer columnist Roger Brown. That rumor has to be as false as the content in Brown's columns. Regardless of what's been said about the ineptitude of the Register "braintrust," there's no way they would even be serious about having Roger Brown as the new sports editor. Would they?

I have covered things with both Dans (Angelo and Gilles) in the past and they both seemed like two very standup and nice individuals. I haven't read a lot of negative comments about either of those two. It's a shame that one felt forced out and the other was fired before he really even had a chance. I wouldn't apply for this job. Let the Roger Browns of the world have at it. It appears that's what a "quality" paper like the Register deserves.

4. AwesomeDawson8

AwesomeDawson8 New Member

If they've had trouble filling this already, will the candidate pool be that much different this time around?

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

Thug: There isn't a negative comment that could be said about Dan Angelo.

Top-notch guy.

6. Trunkmonkey

Trunkmonkey Member

Any idea what this gig pays? I currently make $48,000 as SE at a 24,000 circ. 7-day AM in the Pacific NW. Cost of living in Sandusky? Low?

7. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

Cost of living in Northwest Ohio is almost negligible. The Register pays terrible, based on what people who used to work there told me.

8. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

There's no way it pays nearly that much. I'm guessing more along the lines of $30,000, but I'm sure the cost of living is far less. I'm guessing a decent one-bedroom apartment in Sandusky goes for about $350/month.

9. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

went to cedar point last week for vacation, searched all around town for a drop box to pick up a paper, took awhile but found it. couldn't really get much feedback from the locals when i asked about the section.

10. ThuggishRuggish

ThuggishRuggish New Member

This job's been posted for four months and open for 3 1/2. Anyone know if they've finally found a suck ... errr ... somebody to fill it yet? A newspaper without a sports editor during football season = suicide.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

If they want someone to really grind on the desk, they need to head down to East 99. I hear you can find some real hustlers slingin' that yayo in those parts.

Which, of course, is my way of saying "Great handle."

12. td truckers

td truckers Member

This position was filled quite some time ago...

Draft saved Draft deleted