1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Sandusky, OH

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Sep 10, 2008.

1. kingkroz1017

kingkroz1017 New Member

Anyone know who the publisher at this paper was before the current guy?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Jim Hoffman, convicted child molestor!!!!

Oh, and the ME at the time tried to bury this story inside on the day he was charged. He had a meeting with Hoffman's attorney.

That pretty much says it all. Last ME got a DUI and was later fired.

4. Bob Slydell

And TSP, from what I've been told, that practice continued for quite a while. Not sure of they still do it or not.

5. Drakes Place

Drakes Place Guest

They still do it. I think the publisher's previous job was as a used car salesmen. Or maybe it was fry cook at Wendy's. I can't remember.

6. Bob Slydell

I think he was busy running another paper into the ground.

7. wow, that's fraud. the guy should spend a week in the same lockup that should be hosting the thieves from lehman and aig.

8. Bob Slydell

Oh he was something. He also had a reporter and photog got to Put-in Bay for a story, and to go to a specific hotel for an interview and pictures.

When questioned, he said it's because the hotel guy gave him a free room, so he would make sure he got coverage. There are a million stories.

Westerhold is just the guy who published the name and address of everyone in the Register coverage area with a conceal-carry permit.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

We did to. Red flag if there ever was one.

10. Bob Slydell

Yeah, he flamed out at a paper in Indiana before settling at back in one of Ohio's most luxurious cities. Ethics were not his strong suit.

And an FYI on the current ME. The Register had been doing stories for years on the horrible conditions at the David-Besse nuclear power plant near Oak Harbor. Well, Westerhold took Cleveland Indians game tickets from CEO (or another higher up) from Davis-Besse. He claimed they were going to talk "business." That is the situation you'd be going to folks.

11. Notice I said the word "might." It was just a little background about the working conditions at the paper. Nothing more.

12. Jeff Lebowski

Jeff Lebowski New Member

It seems this job is posted on JournalismJobs on a regular basis. Bad karma for sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted