1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - San Luis Obispo, CA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Sep 9, 2015.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Central Coast is awesome, but ... you're not close (as in three hours) to L.A. or San Francisco. 15 minutes to Moro Bay (not Tahoe) and you've got a Division I college in town. Oh, and Pismo Beach is right down the 101.

2. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

This gig reposted on journalism jobs last week. Does anyone know what they do/how they work with such an early print deadline?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hence, the emphasis on digital. Plusses include working for McClatchy, which refuses to use a lot of buzzwords and is actually looking for a sports editor, rather than some gussied up consultant-created job title.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And Santa Maria is just a half-hour away so easy trips for BBQ tri-tip sandwiches.

5. H-Dale08

H-Dale08 Member

I'm just curious what you even put in a print paper if you've got an 8:15 deadline. A preview for the next day's game? Recapping the game from two days ago? 15 features?

6. strunk_you

strunk_you Member

better question: why waste any time worrying about print? use your energy to focus on the digital product. that's where they could use the best ideas anyhow.

and for background, they print the paper 3 hours away and ship it in. that's why the deadline is early.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"And our readers still enjoy the same outstanding news coverage they demand from us every day." :cool:

8. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

....uh.....because print is still part of this job.

9. H-Dale08

H-Dale08 Member

Yeah, that's what I'm confused about. I'm legitimately curious how they do this job. Like, what actually goes in the print paper. I hope they get paid a lot of money.

10. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

Damn, dude. If you're not a bot, at least try to be clever.

11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

They don't get paid a lot of money. It's a newspaper. And it's small.

12. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

This gig was posted again (journalismjobs.com) on Feb. 4.

Draft saved Draft deleted