1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor- Roswell, NM

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, May 12, 2014.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1587654

Company: Roswell Daily Record
    Position:
    Sports editor who can do it all
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Job ID: 1587654

Description:

Sport

The Roswell Daily Record is currently accepting applications for a talented sports editor. Job responsibilities include coverage of local sports teams and events, writing sports columns, producing the annual football preview, photography, laying out pages for sports sections and supervising stringers. The position offers competitive wages, medical benefits, a gasoline allowance and compensation for travel outside the immediate area. We’re a family-owned, community-oriented, award-winning daily in southeastern New Mexico with a circulation of about 11,000. Send a cover letter, resume, writing clips and page design samples to editor@rdrnews.com. Submissions can be mailed to: Roswell Daily Record, Attn: Tim Howsare, P.O. Box 1897, Roswell Daily Record, NM, 88202. No phone calls please.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Calling Tom Petty!

3. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Don't know much about the paper, but I do know a few things about the community, other than the fact that aliens might be among you there. :D

It's a medium-sized city with two high schools and a couple of private schools with small enrollments. Artesia is a few miles south and that city has one of the top HS football programs in the state, and you might get to cover it. Hagerman is a small town nearby that has some good HS programs. Plus you have an independent minor league baseball team... the level of play in that league isn't very good, but it can be a fun experience talking to the players and doing features on them.

However, if you plan to drive to other major cities, be prepared for long drives through the middle of nowhere. If you have to fly to New Mexico for an interview, you're probably going to fly to Albuquerque, which means heading to Santa Rosa, then down U.S. 285, on which you will drive 90 minutes without seeing a single gas station.

4. mrudi19

mrudi19 Member

I used to work in New Mexico and know a little bit about the Roswell Daily Record and Roswell in general. Roswell is probably a good place for someone to start their career. As Morris816 said, there are two public high schools in town. Goddard High School has been a powerhouse in football the past few years and both Goddard HS and Roswell HS have been good in boys basketball in recent years too. I think Roswell HS won the state title in boys hoops this year. The Daily Record does not cover Artesia, but I believe Goddard and Roswell High are in the same district as Artesia. There's also NMMI, which has a high school and two-year JC too. Not sure how much they cover them. And Morris816 mentioned the independent league baseball team, which would be the Roswell Invaders of the Pecos League. I covered a Pecos League team when I was in NM and yeah, the play is not good at all. But there are some good stories with the guys and I won some awards for some of my stories on the Pecos League and the players. The Invaders are also one of the better supported teams in the league, as far as fan base. They've also won two Pecos League titles in the last three years. Roswell actually has airline service. American flies to Dallas/Fort Worth out of Roswell. But yes, be aware Roswell is pretty isolated. Albuquerque is three hours away and El Paso, Texas is about three and a half hours away. As far as major cities go, Dallas is a good seven and half hours and Phoenix is about nine hours away. But Roswell is a pretty self sustaining city. It has all the chain restaurants, Starbucks and Target.

5. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

10 years ago, this was my 1st real gig out if college. There are a lot of good people there - even a decade later, a lot of the coaches I interacted with are still in their jobs. I hear newsroom moral has improved a lot since the days of the Boosh are a thing of the past.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I was SE for a few years.

Goddard has been a powerhouse for SEVERAL years, and you're lucky to be able to cover a guy like Sam Jernigan the head coach because he's one of those coaches that makes the experience worthwhile. He has won 7 or 8 state titles and played in several other title games. Roswell High used to be great during the Dontrelle Moore years but fell on hard times.

Roswell is a big-time girls volleyball town and at times soccer and baseball.

NMMI -- "The Old Post" -- is a unique place to cover sports, especially at the Armory when the cadets come in and blow off a little steam. NMMI's high school baseball coach Charlie Ward, like Jernigan, makes the job worth it. Great guy. Was lucky to cover them during a state title run. NMMI's juco hoops team is fair to middlin' most times. One of the guys I covered was recruited to Texas Tech when Knight was there.

Then there's the Route 2 corridor of tiny schools: Dexter, Hagerman and Lake Arthur. Lake Arthur is one of the powers in 6-man football and the coach, Jose Porras, is a great guy. LA came to Roswell to play Gateway Christian in the '02 title game. Gateway mercy ruled them to finish unbeaten and No. 3 in the nation -- and then the school fired the football coach. He plucked the first cacti from the plot of land that became the football field and built the program. Parents were so dismayed they left Gateway in droves and started Valley Christian Academy across town.

Morris is right in that Artesia is the king of football with something like 30 state titles. They play in the Bulldog Bowl, which is one of those places you should watch a game at least once in your life.

Roswell is a weird little town deep in the bowels: 2 parts retired community, 1 part gangster, all UFO.

And Popo's on East McGaffey makes the best enchiladas.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I interviewed at that Artesia paper you mentioned. Interviewed over the phone and then flew cross country into Albuquerque.

Got stuck in the middle of nowhere because El Nino had made the roads impassable. Eventually made it there but spent about three days with nothing to do in a no-name motel with one diner in town.

8. kjkeller

kjkeller New Member

I am the current SE and will be leaving in June. I've been there for nearly five years.

Whatever you want to know, feel free to message me.

I can give you these updates to the information that has been posted already:
    1. Sam Jernigan is no longer the head coach at Goddard. He retired. This past season was his last.
    2. Roswell boys basketball team just won the state title for the third time in six seasons.
    3. Artesia has taken a huge step back over the past few years in football. More kids playing soccer because they don't feel like dedicating the time it takes to play football. Bulldog Bowl is the nicest football stadium in the state. It's better than the two major college stadiums.
    4. Hagerman, Lake Arthur and Gateway Christian are the reigning football champions. Goddard volleyball just won state title. Roswell boys soccer won state title. NMMI boys tennis won its fourth straight state title and has won 96 straight matches.
    5. There are nine schools in the coverage area.

For nearly all of my run there, this was a two-person department. Myself and my assistant SE were together for four years at the paper. It will no longer be a two-person department, though. The decision was made to go to a one-person department after our ASE left to go back to school. Be prepared to work A LOT of hours. And I mean A LOT.

Any other questions, message me.

Good luck to whoever gets this. I'm not sure if I'll be involved in the process of selecting my successor, but I will probably be training you if you start before I leave.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Congrats to Jernigan. The person who takes the job should have a nice story then -- Goddard post-Jernigan.

Good to hear about Roswell basketball. They were close when I was there but always had that one stumble. Hagerman was in the most head-scratching football game I ever covered. Played Fort Sumner, 1A semifinals, both 10-0 or 11-0. Sumner suffocated Hagerman, which had a super-good, super-fast, super-veteran QB. There were many whispers afterward that Hagerman's coach was on the take. He was long gone soon after and landed somewhere in west New Mexico. Fort Sumner was really good that year but Hagerman should have cruised to the state title.

Draft saved Draft deleted