1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Roswell, NM

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Apr 8, 2009.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

At a party some years ago in Austin, some guy I met insisted that he was from the town of Hell, Texas.

"It's just west of Monahans!"

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i've been to monahans. maybe that's what he meant.

3. writing irish

When I lived in Big Bend, we called everything north of I-10 "The Shit Country."

"Damn, if it's 95 degrees here in Alpine, I bet it's a hundred and five up in The Shit Country."

"Anybody need anything from The Shit Country? I gotta go up to the Home Depot in Odessa tomorrow."

"Fort Stockton- Your Gateway to The Shit Country."

4. gregcrews

gregcrews Member

Sounds like all they are asking for is the bare minimum when it comes to a sports editor.

Anybody know anything about this paper? Is it any good? And does anyone have any idea what kind of pay one could be looking at?

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

greg - the paper in question is well chronicled here. use the seach function and get back to us with your thoughts.

7. writing irish

Once in Tibet, an old monk led me up a serpentine mountain pathway. Strange, sinewy plants grew from cracks in the stones. The rock face of the mountain itself was as black as peat between the shelves of snow. The snow grew thicker with every hour of our ascent.

For a day, this monk, his old yak and I trudged over the switchbacks and carefully climbed the steeper sections of the path. The blowing snow and ice eventually obscured the blankets and packs that the stoic beast bore on its back. For some stretches, all I could see clearly was the colorful coat that cloaked my guide's small frame.

Finally, I noticed the shadows lengthen and the light take on a bluish hue. Nightfall was near. Would we reach our destination?

Just as I began to worry, the snow let up and the skies cleared. We rounded a bend and I beheld a cluster of fire-lights in the distance. The torches of Shangri-La! The flickering points illuminated the buildings of the blessed village. I smelled the crisp fragrance of cedar smoke. I knew that soon, I would be in a safe and kindly place, greeted by wise and friendly faces, invited to share the hearth and fellowship over earthen cups of steaming, black tea.

The Roswell Daily Record is like the mountain path. It leads to wonders, though the route is neither direct nor simple.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that was glorious.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

After you use the spell-check function?

10. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

Wow.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

oh, it's on.

12. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

This job seems to open up about once a year or so. It is and always will be an instant classic.

Draft saved Draft deleted