1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Rome, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Rome News-Tribune, a daily, locally owned newspaper in Northwest Georgia, is seeking an experienced sports editor to lead our sports department. Candidate must be able to plan hyperlocal sports coverage, report and lay out pages using InDesign. Our focus is local sports, from youth baseball to college football. We cover preps, Berry College, Shorter University and some intramural activity at Georgia Highlands College and Georgia Northwestern Technical College. Obviously we are in the middle of the high school football season, and we are hoping to find the right candidate quickly.

Email resumes and work samples to Managing Editor Mike Colombo at MColombo@npco.com. No calls please.

2. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

I work nearby. Heard through the grapevine this place isn't doing well financially. But I could be hearing an exaggerated story.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Always heard that was a great place to work. They own their own press (and thus print on-site), which is unusual these days for a paper of that size.

But intramurals coverage? Egads.

4. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I've always thought this paper could do so much better than they do. To have Braves' minor league team in the town and a relatively decent economy, they're really a lot smaller than they should be.

Last I heard they were printing the Gadsden Times and trucking it over, making Gadsden's deadlines just plain awful. But that was a few years ago.

Small town papers are working a lot better than the bigger ones right now. Living sort-of nearby a little while ago, I heard their problems were at the top. Which isn't surprising.

If somebody with some vision could get in there and be allowed to do what could be done, I think it could make a decent springboard.

5. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Worked here for several years and worked with the editor who's leaving, David Dawson. Dave is a great guy and I don't think you'll hear anybody who's known him for more than 10 seconds say otherwise. Not sure if I should say where he's headed, but it's really a nice step up and at the same time really a big blessing for him.
    As for the paper, I haven't worked there since the mid-2000's, but I can tell you that the LLC that runs the paper (as well as several surrounding weeklies) filed for bankruptcy in the last year or so and the land the paper is on was almost sold at a foreclosure auction. This is not me telling stories out of school, as they covered it in their own paper.
    I don't know what the situation is like there right now financially, but the place does have some good things going for it, including multiple colleges (Shorter is D-II and in the Gulf South and Berry is D-III; the other two schools are junior colleges that have either club teams or teams that play in the GJCAA) and the Rome Braves as well as lots of high schools.
    Assuming the paper is on decent ground financially, there's opportunities for some good clips and experience-gaining for the right person. Best of luck to those who apply....

Draft saved Draft deleted