1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Richmond, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by franticscribe, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Micro, please forgive my builtin Yankee rage.....

Who would they look for in this job? besides internal people, what would a paper like this want? An up-n-commer from the Post, Times, Trib? Or a latteral move assistant from some place like Norfolk, Charlotte, Raleigh, Fresno, Sac?

2. boots

boots New Member

One guy who has been brought in is from the northeast where he is an assistant
    SE. He's got a fighter's chance but I don't see it happening. Richmond has always honored loyalty and tht's one reason why Berniger succeeded Millsaps who succeeded another longtime editor.
    While the paper is undergoing a transformation, I know for a fact there are several good in house people who would and could do an outstanding job as SE.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Boots, so do I. Which is why I was surprised this even was posted.

4. WHich means there could be an opening in Richmond soon? From what I've been told, they very seldom have openings.

5. boots

boots New Member

The guy Millsaps replaced was the great Chauncey Durden.
    Anyway, Richmond does post gigs. But like most places, they pretty much know what they're going to do when they post.

6. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

Not that I'm interested in applying, but what's COB? Certified something-or-other?

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Unless it has something to do with corn, I don't care.

Actually, from the context I would say "close of business".

8. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

Thanks.

9. henrygale

henrygale New Member

Huh? Then this jobs board is pretty much a waste of everybody's time, no? Discussing openings that are already filled.

As for the internal candidates, I'd love to hear more about them. They seem to have one "associate" sports editor and two assistants. Isn't the associate the No. 2 person? And isn't this particular associate sports editor female? They've known the sports editor was retiring for months. Wouldn't they have given her the job already if she was going to get it?

10. JME

JME Member

How long have you been in this business, henry?

Plenty of jobs that are posted are actually filled, but then, you can't get a job if you don't apply, right?

11. henrygale

henrygale New Member

Wow, I had no idea my department was at the forefront of honesty in journalism.

I never have and never will waste people's time encouraging them to apply for a job they have no chance of getting.

12. JME

JME Member

The point is, there's no way to know for sure if they have someone lined up or not, so you're going to have to apply either way if you're trying to find a new job.

Draft saved Draft deleted