1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Richmond, VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Hoos3725, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Ryan Holmgren

Ryan Holmgren Member

I met Mike in June at the APSE Conference and he impressed me right off the bat. Under his direction, the Opelika Auburn-News has cranked out plenty of APSE top 10s. Earlier this summer, his paper's coverage of former Auburn tight end Philip Lutzenkirchen's tragic death was top-notch. Especially the front page design (https://twitter.com/Szvetitz/status/483450185138188288) and Mike's touching column (http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/football/article_bb42e90e-ffd9-11e3-be41-001a4bcf6878.html).

Richmond is lucky to snag him from SEC country. Mike will do well.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Loved that column. Got a bit dusty in here. Thanks for the links.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, the Auburn paper may not have a large circulation, but let's just say they play a lot bigger than others their size.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Szvzvzvvssvsz is a great guy and a top-notch editor. Glad he got the brass band instead of the sad trombone slide on this one. He deserves the best.

5. Mike Szvetitz

Mike Szvetitz Member

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'm not sure exactly when they will officially post the SE job at the Opelika-Auburn News, but I know it's a top priority. It's an incredible and rewarding job.

If anyone is interested in that position or has questions about it, please let me know.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Congrats, Mike. Auburn's a cool town. Gotta be a great gig for a smaller paper. Some real good guys in Richmond, so that should help make your transition easier.

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Great hire.

Draft saved Draft deleted