1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Richmond County N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

From Journalismjobs.com

The Richmond County Daily Journal is looking for a sports editor who can be a team player. This editor's primary job will be to lead a two-person staff in covering sports in Richmond County, N.C. We have the luxury of covering only one high school – the Richmond Senior High School Raiders, historically one of the best 4A football programs in the state. If you're into wheels, we have them too. We're home to Rockingham Dragway, one of the hottest tickets in drag racing as well as Rockingham Speedway, which is evolving from a historic NASCAR icon into a venue for a number of motorsports. We need somebody who can pitch in and help with page design with the news side on a regular basis. The Daily Journal is a part of Heartland Publications, which owns more newspapers in North Carolina than any other company. Come grow with our growing company. Get benefits package. To apply, e-mail pwilliams@yourdailyjournal.com. >

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Re: Sports Edtor, Richmond County N.C.

There's your red flag.

The people in Rockingham are probably good sorts, and covering Richmond County High football is unlike probably any other prep beat in North Carolina ... football power, high expectations, biggest show in town, especially now that NASCAR deems itself too big to race at North Carolina Motor Speedway.

But Heartland ... reason enough to enter with caution.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I hope the editor can spell editor.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Kind of liked it without the i. It was done for effect but I have since corrected it. Sorry.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

What effect is that?

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

To draw attention to the opening. Nothing more. It's a job. There aren't many of them out there. It's a hot lead for someone to follow if they are inclined to do so.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

With NASCAR having departed Rockingham several years ago, it's a warm lead at best. OK for somebody looking to move into management, but not a drop-everything-and-apply kind of job.

8. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Five years ago, this was a fantastic job. But with Heartland buying the Daily Journal, it's not the greatest gig out there. If you interview, ask about the deadline. I've heard that because they print in Lumberton, their deadline at times can be 10:30 p.m. or something crazy like that. I'd imagine the pay they had for the SE in the past is nowhere near what it pays now. It is, however, a very, very cheap place to live.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

More than one red flag here. First of all, Heartland is enough to give one pause. Also, the SE is required to pitch and design news pages. Watch out for that. I know an SE of another Heartland daily in North Carolina who has to do the same thing. I don't know how he does it.

10. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

The same way SEs at any small, non-Heartland papers do. You suck it up, you move on.

Heartland might or might not be the best employer (I personally have no experience with them), but don't confuse ownership with paper size.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I'm at an 11K non-Heartland daily and I don't have to lay out news pages.

Draft saved Draft deleted