1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor/Reporter-The Emporia (Kan.) Gazette

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by DontyouknowwhoIam?, Oct 15, 2011.

1. DontyouknowwhoIam?

DontyouknowwhoIam? New Member

Hey guys,
    Formal listing is to come, but our publisher is out of town for a while and wanted me to send along a heads up. The Emporia Gazette is looking for a sports reporter (it might be a sports editor job, will depend on inside moves.) Either way, there will be an opening in the sports department here.
    Emporia is a town of just under 25,000 people. Sports coverage revolves around Emporia State University, a D-II school that frequently contends in several sports, Emporia High School and several smaller high schools in the adjoining area.
    Anybody who wants to apply can send cover letter, resume and clips to:
    The Emporia Gazette
    Attn. Chris Walker
    517 Merchant St.
    Emporia, KS 66801

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What's the paper's circulation and who owns it? Any idea what the writing/editing (pagination) split is likely to be?

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I thought Emporia was privately owned, but I could be wrong. ABC doesn't list circ.

4. DontyouknowwhoIam?

Yes on privately owned, White/Walker family has owned it for generations. Separate design department, so little work in InDesign. Both sports staffers here do plenty of writing, along with editing, agate and sketching out pages for the design staff. Six-day afternoon paper, no Sunday edition.

5. DontyouknowwhoIam?

This position has been filled.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Must have been an inside deal.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Town of my birth, didn't know William Allen White descendants were still involved in ownership. Interesting. (I assume that's the White we're talking about). Pretty fast fill.

Draft saved Draft deleted