1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor/reporter in Hoschton, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by West_Coast_Offense, Jun 16, 2008.

1. West_Coast_Offense

West_Coast_Offense New Member

Company: The Paper
    Position:
    Enthusiastic sports editor/reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires:
    July 21, 2008
    Job ID: 938115

Description:
    The Paper, a growing weekly newspaper in the Braselton-Hoschton area of North Atlanta, needs a do-it-all sports editor/reporter with a feel for community journalism. This is a one-person sports staff that requires energy and enthusiasm. The perfect candidate would be a solid writer who understands how to build positive relations with contacts and the importance of deadlines; has an interest in page design and knows the basics; and is capable of working with a small news team at an increasingly popular newspaper. The Paper, part of small group of newspapers in the North Atlanta area, offers opportunities for professional advancement for those who show they deserve it. E-mail resume and references to nyoung@clickthepaper.com.

FYI: I do not know Georgia well at all, but Yahoo! Maps says this town is more than 115 miles away from Atlanta. Does that sound accurate? Wondering if someone could clarify. Thanks!

2. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

sounds about right. You are roughly 25 minutes away from Athens at this place as well.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Hoschton/Braselton are among the new suburbs. They ran out of room in the rest of Gwinnett County, so people started moving even further to the north and east. About 11 billion schools have opened in that area in the past few years, including second high schools in Jackson and Barrow counties. (Actually, the new HS in Jackson County is East Jackson, and it's in Commerce, but it shows how much the whole county is growing. I can only assume East Jackson will suck as royally at football as Jackson County does.)

Hoschton's in Jackson County, Braselton's actually in Jackson, Gwinnett, Hall and Barrow, at least according to its Web site. They're both right along 85.

It's not 115 miles from Atlanta, but it'll feel like it, and you'll have made 115-mile drives faster than you'll make the drive to Atlanta. And it might be 25 miles as the crow flies to Athens, but there's no real simple way to get there. Because, really, no one would drive from Athens to Braselton. And until 10 years ago, no one lived in Braselton.

I doubt there's much in the way of apartments up there, and I can't imagine it's especially cheap to live there. There's plenty of cheap (crime-prone) complexes just off 85 in the Norcross area, but it's a good 30 miles to Braselton.

This appears to be The Paper's Web site: www.clickthepaper.com. Note the complete lack of Web content and virtual lack of staff.

This site has PDFs of articles they've written relevant to this particular group's interest. Look long enough and you may get an idea of what the actual product looks like: http://www.hbcahome.org/news.html

Curiously, I found a story written by a "The Paper" writer on the Gainesville Times' Web site: http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/news/archive/3667/

Oh, and the Hosch in Hoschton rhymes with bush.

4. GSULAX18

GSULAX18 New Member

Yes it is owned by one of the Morris brothers as is the Gainesville Times and like three other small papers in the area. I know the guy who had it originally and he is solid and moved on. It really isn't a bad gig if you don't mind the area.

Draft saved Draft deleted