1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Register-News - Mt. Vernon, Illinois

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jetssack, Apr 13, 2009.

1. jetssack

jetssack Member

From JJobs:

Company: Register-News
    Position: Seeking sports editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: May 18, 2009
    Job ID: 1044918

Description:
    The Register-News in Mt. Vernon, Illinois, seeks a qualified candidate for the position of sports editor. We are a community newspaper in the truest sense of the phrase and are looking for someone who will provide coverage of all our schools in Jefferson County. We want someone who can provide coverage of sports well beyond the final scores, someone who will help us cover non-traditional sports as well as recreational sports.

Mt. Vernon is located in the heart of hoops-crazy Southern Illinois, 70 miles east of St. Louis and roughly the same distance west of Evansville, Ind. Carbondale is a short drive down I-57, and Champaign is roughly two hours to the north.

The successful candidate must have QuarkXPress experience and the sense of urgency required for immediate postings to our Web site. Video for our Web site is a big deal to us and we want someone capable of and willing to provide such content. Send a resume and five clips to: Jeremy Hall, Register-News, 911 Broadway, Mt. Vernon, IL, 62864.

Or e-mail jeremy.hall@register-news.com

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1044918

2. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Interviewed there about five years ago. Was offered sub-20k, but that wasn't for SE. It's a small town like any other.

3. What happened to Paul Wilcoxen?

4. HoosierSE

HoosierSE New Member

That's a long and interesting story.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Don't tell my in-laws. They'd never forgive me for not applying for this job.

6. Cubbie Blue

Cubbie Blue New Member

Isn't there a major prison in Mt. Vernon?

7. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

And ...
    And ...

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Marion.

Pete Rose and Manuel Noriega did time there.

9. rcsoxfan

rcsoxfan Member

Paul had enough of the place, low wages, over worked and frankly he's better than the job...Paul is a friend and former colleague who won't say anything bad about somebody....he moved to better things...me on the other hand, well let's just say EVEN I WOULDN'T APPLY FOR THAT JOB WITH THE WAGES AND WORK

10. I thought Paul had worked there before and then come back ... maybe that was the guy before him.

11. Paul Wilcoxen

Paul Wilcoxen New Member

I left the Register-News on my own accord. I decided some time ago that I was ready to move on to other opportunities in my life. One of which is politics. Unfortunately my political affiliations and my job as sports editor clashed, according to CNHI. I had to pick one or the other so I decided that it was time to move on.

I did leave for about a month back in June of 2008 to return to Indiana where I thought I was going to work at a paper that was a better opportunity. I was wrong. It was a blessing that those in charge took me back after a month away. I will forever be grateful for that.

I'm currently going back to school. I don't know if I'm done in the newspaper business. I'm still young, so I'm sure the possibility will be there if the right position comes available.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Former Rams' player Darryl Henley served time there for a drug conviction. He said the worst part was they showed all the Rams games on TV there.

Draft saved Draft deleted