1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Quincy Patriot-Ledger

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by clutchcargo, Sep 15, 2006.

1. happygirl

happygirl Member

I'd have to agree with you, Wicked. I don't think the new SE will be able to go out and buy a Porsche. I wouldn't be surprised if it pays only a bit more than top staffers. On the other hand, I suspect those guys probably do OK, given their longevity there. And the pay is generally better in the Boston market than other areas.

2. I think I know the neighborhood a staffer at a Quincy/Brockton size paper makes in this market. What is an SE pulling down these days? $60K, $80K, more? doubt it, but someone has to have insight?

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If you wanna go on happy's reasoning, take a look at the Ledger's guild contract at ledgerguild.com. Haven't looked at the contract in a while, but I'm guessing top scale there for a reporter is in the $45k to $50k range.

Again, no inside knowledge. I'll just be surprised if the new hire clears more than $55k. The old-time editors there are doing not-so-shabby, but at the same time I'd be surprised if they've gotten much of a raise since Scott Low sold the paper 10 years ago. Pugh sucked the profit out of there and didn't plow much of it back into the product.

4. happygirl

happygirl Member

salary info:
    http://newsguild.org/salary/index_2003.php

5. happygirl

happygirl Member

Dredging up this subject again...
    The Patriot Ledger SE post remains unfilled after all these months, but I see that Gatehouse Media had a surprisingly successful IPO yesterday (go figure), raising well over $230 million, so maybe now that they have some cash, they'll finally hire somebody.
    On second thought, nah!

6. Happy, are you a former Ledger-ite? I sent a PM a while ago. Regards, SG

7. happygirl

happygirl Member

SG, a woman never tells.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

No outing!

And Happy, whomever you may be, your insight has been 100 percent right on.

9. OK, fair enough -- don't want to cross any lines on the forum. Properly chastised here.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Was joshing ya, sporting. :D You were fine. Just tossing out a well-worn SJ line.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Any news on this? Since all my sources have retired/resigned/etc., I have none.

Draft saved Draft deleted