1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Quincy Patriot-Ledger

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by clutchcargo, Sep 15, 2006.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Typical Enterprise NewsMedia style, they sat on this opening forever, and now they're posting it for a second time. They went a whole year without a business editor a couple years back and had the SE (then Earl) handle both tasks for a few months. They're lucky they have some good, veteran journalists there, otherwise they'd be sinking a lot faster.

2. happygirl

happygirl Member

Quincy is more than a typical suburb. It's got everything, from dirty beaches to tenements to beautiful sections to Marina Bay, an upscale housing development on Boston Harbor. Probably about 90--100,000 population. The city abuts Boston, on the harbor, so you're 10-15 minutes from downtown. Right on the subway line to Boston. Boat service to Logan Airport. It's also the northernmost point of Boston's South Shore, which encompasses posh, expensive suburbs and working-class towns. This was NOT a paid message from the South Shore Chamber of Commerce.

3. KP

KP Active Member

Somerville + Marina Bay = Quincy
    Everett + Marina Bay - good high school football = Quincy

4. Can anyone confirm whether Brockton has an SE at the moment? Hearing conflicting reports...

5. KP

KP Active Member

Ken Lechtanski is currently filling the role, the current SE Bill Abramson is over on the news side. Not sure if Abramson's move to news may become permenant or not, but pretty sure Lechtanski is just filling the spot for now.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Somerville + Marina Bay = Quincy? Sorry, KP, we'll disagree on this one.

Now Somerville + trees does = Billerica. One of the few things on which I'll agree with Howie Carr.

7. KP

KP Active Member

Where is this great hidden jewel of Quincy you all rave about?

And Waterworks on Sunday? So 5 years ago.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Marina Bay puts you far above Somerville. And at least Quincy Center has a modicum of cleanliness going for it, unlike almost any part of Somerville (save Davis Square).

9. KP

KP Active Member

Exactly
    As I said Somerville with a Marina Bay replica would be the same as Quincy.
    Maybe this is better, Somerville + Marina Bay - dirt + a few trees (Faxon Park is pretty good) = Quincy

I just don't see your (and Happygirl's) love for the place.

If you'd like, we can all discuss this over cocktails at the Varsity Club or Four's sometime.

10. You can do far worse in the Boston area than Quincy.

11. happygirl

happygirl Member

I don't love it. I don't live there. Somebody called it a typical suburb. It's not. And it's not nearly as crummy as you make it out to be. The fact is, you're way off topic. Somebody was pursuing the Patriot Ledger SE thread and asked what Quincy is like. It's not like an applicant is going to base his decision on the state of the city.
    As for the SE job, it's still unfilled, but they're still searching, from what I understand, and hope to have one soon. But I'll believe it when I see it because I think the new owner is in no hurry to add another salary.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

That's another question: how much will the salary for this gig be? For the market, I'm thinking Liberty Gatehouse will underpay, significantly.

I don't have any inside knowledge on this, I must stress. Just a gut feeling.

(P.S. I don't live in Quincy, and I never did.)

Draft saved Draft deleted