1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Quincy Patriot-Ledger

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by clutchcargo, Sep 15, 2006.

1. KP

KP Active Member

Stoughton, Randolph, Avon, Holbrook, Abington, Rockland, Hanover, Pembroke, Kingston, Halifax?, Carver, Plympton?, Whitman, Hanson, most importantly Plymouth.
    Leaving any out?

2. TheCommish

TheCommish New Member

Any new info on this position?

3. happygirl

happygirl Member

Still unfilled, being manned on an interim basis by one of the writers. I think it's probably not a bad job.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It's an OK job. You will be understaffed, though, since Fine and Loftus don't have an off-season anymore and have to cover the Sox and the Brockton Rox when they should be recuperating from the Celtics and Bruins beats. Those guys must be close to burned out, and I'm sure they will not be replaced. I really like Eric McHugh's work (if he's still there, that is), and he's a pretty good writer IMO.

5. KP

KP Active Member

Loftus is now the interim SE. McHugh is still there.

6. happygirl

happygirl Member

Loftus is interim sports ed. AND trying to cover the Bruins at the same time. He never did cover the Brockton Rox this year. They used the Enterprise coverage, such as it was.

7. GeorgeScott

GeorgeScott Member

Mike Loftus is a good man... He dates back to the late '70s, when the Ledger was a definite player. That staff was terrific. Many college students who are now successful elsewhere in the business and some damn good writing, like Loftus, Bob Finnigan, Fine and Cafardo.

8. happygirl

happygirl Member

In fact, Mike Fine is still there. I'd guess he's been there well over 30-35 years. But you're correct. The Ledger has always had a strong intern program (actually, Northeastern U. co-ops) who backbone the high school coverage. Most of those veteran guys started out that way and then the company started trimming by attrition.

9. scalper

scalper Member

So is there any word on outside candidates? Is this perhaps another search that has stalled, will be abandoned for a time, and re-opened later?

10. happygirl

happygirl Member

no clue what they're up to.

11. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

What's Quincy like?

12. KP

KP Active Member

Dirty beaches. Decent bars but they close at 1. Typical large suburb.

Draft saved Draft deleted