1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Quincy Herald-Whig

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mizzouman51, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Does anyone have an update on this? As of last week, all content was AP and high school football is less than two weeks away.

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Ugh. The last local sports story on their website is from Aug. 8. And high school football starts a week from today.

3. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I had a beautiful girlfriend from Quincy, Ill.
    Once upon a time.

4. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Whoever’s in charge of this hire had better know how to keep every applicant informed on how things are going or they’re gonna HEAR IT from this board lemme tell ya

Antwan Staley and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

LOL lemme tell ya grrrr grrrrrr grrrrrrrr go get 'em barf boy

[​IMG]

Sports Barf and HanSenSE like this.
  6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Did she wear a whig?

7. BurnsWhenIPee

Take out the "beautiful," and I think most young men in Illinois, Iowa and Missouri could say the same thing.

I Should Coco likes this.
  8. BurnsWhenIPee

Not sure why, but this fascinates me.

On their website today - the opening day of high school football in Illinois - there's still not a word about it. Or any high school sports or Quincy University sports.

The lead story is on the YMCA fall flag football season on track to be its biggest ever.

Wonder if they are just going with a no-sports product?

Liut likes this.
  9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Can't believe they would do that. I haven't been in Quincy for quite a while, but Schuckman covered the hell out of QHS and the college, and that had to be a big reason why people subscribed to the Herald-Whig.

If they think press releases, AP sports stories and parent-submitted travel team photos will cut it during prep and college sports season, they're crazy.

Liut likes this.
  10. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Does Quincy also owns the Hannibal paper, which is across the Mississippi and a few miles south? Checking their site, plenty of recent local sports, can't imagine they'd start to share resources but in this era of penny pinching I guess you never know.

Liut likes this.
  11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Both are owned by Arkansas-based Phillips Media ... since earlier this year.

Quincy and Hannibal had been sharing content. Emphasis on "had."

12. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

your use of 'had' has me intrigued.
    Anyhoo with Schuck still in town joining a lot of folks who are known in the community, plus someone on the TV side who is very well liked and embedded in town, whoever gets this gig has a lot of catching up to do.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted