1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor- Pueblo, CO

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1603269

Company: The Pueblo Chieftain
    Position:
    SPORTS EDITOR
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified

Description:

Now Hiring - Sports Editor

Colorado’s oldest daily newspaper is looking to find an enthusiastic and enterprise-minded sports editor to take our sports department to the next level. The Pueblo Chieftain is a family owned newspaper, located in beautiful Pueblo Colorado, Home of the Heroes. Our coverage includes eight high schools and one university, as well as coverage of Southeastern Colorado. We are looking for a creative team player who has the ability to build relationships with coaches, athletic directors and players in the community we serve. The ideal candidate will have previous sports journalism and management experience and will be well versed in the use of Facebook, Twitter and other forms of social media to connect with the community and readers. He/she will work successfully both independently and within a team. Pagination skills are a must. Please send resume, salary requirements and clips to Editor, Steve Henson at shenson@chieftain.com. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE

2. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

Does anyone know more about this gig/town?

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I have worked under the publisher, Randy Rickman, before, and he is a good guy. That's all I got.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I also worked under Rickman at a different paper and concur he's a good guy to work for.

5. Morris816

Morris816 Member

My first job was in southeast Colorado, so I was in Pueblo a fair amount, but the city has changed a lot since then.

I can tell you that CSU-Pueblo is part of the RMAC and has pretty good programs for women's basketball and baseball. And from a personal standpoint, two track athletes I covered in New Mexico went on to join the ThunderWolves track program.

I do know that several of the Pueblo high schools have good baseball program and that the Hobbs Baseball Bash is a pretty big deal.

As for the city, the population is pretty big but it doesn't have the traffic problems that Denver or Colorado Springs has, but I don't know enough about what the cost of living is like there.

6. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

I also saw that all of the sports staffers are "editors". Deputy, night, etc. Any which position this is?

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Pueblo is about 45 miles from Colorado Springs, but seems to have a totally different vibe to it. Maybe it's the Air Force in CS, maybe the tourism, not sure exactly. Pueblo seemed like more of a blue-collar city.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Pueblo was built largely by the steel industry, so the jobs were largely blue-collar.

But steel crashed in the 80s and the city is growing into a less-industrial sort of place.

The Chieftain also covers just about everything in Colorado to the south and east of Pueblo. That includes some fairly sparsely populated regions, but that's still a bunch of high schools.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

My guess is that Pueblo would have lower income levels than the rest of the Front Range of Colorado, an area that runs north to south in front of the mountains where 80% of the state's population live. Which should make it cheaper.

I would prefer Pueblo to most other comparably sized cities. There are the mountains, a sunny climate and while it snows a lot it does not stay on the ground throughout the winter.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Joe Cervi promoted to sports editor. Current vacancy for a sports copy desk editor/paginator.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I read that the median price for a home is $147,000, which among the lowest of decent-sized cities in Colorado.

Draft saved Draft deleted