1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Prescott, AZ

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Prescott Newspapers, Inc., featuring the award winning 17K circulation Daily Courier, in the mountain environment of Prescott, AZ is looking for an experienced Sports Editor. The Daily Courier is published seven days a week with an a.m. distribution. The right candidate will direct the activities of the sports department, supervise sports reporter staff, produce and edit the sports pages. Previous sports reporter and sports editor experience, strong layout and design experience a must. PNI offers an excellent benefit package. NSE EEOE Send resume and letters of reference to Human Resources, Prescott Newspapers, Inc., P. O. Box 312, Prescott, AZ 86302 Fax 928-777-8625 pnihr@prescottaz.com

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Great part of Arizona, beautiful country ... but beware the cost of living. The salary range of $35-40K might not go to far.

Lots of people who like the southwest but want to "get away" from the Valley are moving there -- or at least they were before the mortgage bubble burst.

Maybe someone who lives in the area can update us on the Prescott housing market.

3. esport12

esport12 Member

Anyone know much about the paper?

4. Paper covers five high schools and Yavapai College, the local JUCO. Back when I was there, travel was nil -- some of the high schools play in leagues with Phoenix teams, and we did not even travel there.

At that time, it was a staff of three, sort of ... the sports editor, the assistant sports editor and two others who each split their duties between news and sports. Typical section was 3 pages or so, but sports did not always have a section front. This may have changed.

As for the area, anyone with questions, feel free to ask or PM. I have family out there, so I know quite a bit about it.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Don't forget minor league hockey with the Arizona Sundogs, plus an indoor football league team. You're about two hours from Phoenix, but don't get the oppressive heat. It still gets up into the 90s and hits 100 occasionally.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

They used to make the occasional trip to Phoenix for the Suns or for high school football, and up to Flagstaff if one of their teams played state tournament games up that way in basketball, etc.

Used to work with a guy in Flag who ended up in Prescott. Not sure if he's still there. Section is definitely small and very locally based.

7. Yeah, there was no hockey/indoor football when I was there. Just going off what I knew at the time.

Cosmo is referencing Doug Cook, I believe. He was one of the news/sports hybrids when I was there. Don't know if he's still around.

8. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

I played in a national fastpitch tournament in Prescott in 1998. Big fun, pretty cool town, but I don't know about living there. It's pretty well removed. I did crawl out of a couple of watering holes, though.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Correct, Hack. Doug's a good dude who I've lost touch with.

Draft saved Draft deleted