1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Portsmouth, Ohio

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Jan 17, 2013.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

journalismjobs.com states....

The Portsmouth Daily Times, a southern Ohio newspaper with a sizable coverage area, is seeking a versatile sports editor willing to dive into the area's high school sports scene. The Daily Times covers 22 schools with many varsity programs spanning two states and six counties.

The correct candidate will continue to uphold the standard established in prep coverage and expand into coverage of smaller varsity sports. The Daily Times also offers an opportunity to cover Shawnee State University, which has several competitive NAIA programs.

Located in Scioto County along the Ohio River, Portsmouth is a sports-crazed town with a rich sports history. It once was home to an NFL team and is home to many baseball icons. Branch Rickey, the baseball Hall of Fame executive, was a product of Scioto County.

Experience working as a reporter or editor is preferred as is a four-year degree in journalism or a related field. This is a great opportunity for a candidate looking to make the jump from a weekly to a daily. This is a salaried position. A background of online coverage and video coverage is preferred.

Send a cover letter, resume and no more than three clips to bstrickley@civitasmedia.com or mail your resume and clips to 637 Sixth Street, Portsmouth, OH 45662, Attn: Managing Editor.

2. PirateSports

PirateSports Member

Civitas Media is Heartland Publications...

3. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Applied here once as a sports reporter. Got a response outlining sub 10K circulation and 10 bucks an hour as pay, with the note saying if I was still interested they would call me about an interview. I said I was still interested and they never followed up.

Good times.

Draft saved Draft deleted