1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Portsmouth, Ohio

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, May 20, 2011.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Portsmouth Daily Times is looking for a sports editor who knows that local coverage is key. We're evolving from a print-first to a "platform-agnostic" operation so the right candidate should have a firm grasp on multimedia reporting. Our sports editor also must have strong organization, planning, communication and writing skills.

The Daily Times is part of Heartland Publications, with about 50 papers throughout eastern United States. The company offers medical, dental, 401(k) plan and paid time off.

Email resume and several clips to Managing Editor Josh Richardson at jrichardson@heartlandpublications.com.

2. FleetFeet

FleetFeet Member

Any info on this one, in terms of either qualifications for the "ideal" candidate, how coverage is perceived by readers (or industry onlookers) and what's covered, etc?

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Heartland Publications. Nuff said.

4. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

If they can bring back the NFL, this is going to be a plum gig.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I was offered the SE gig there about 10-12 years ago, but never took it because the pay was pretty low. IIRC, it was about $21-22K for the SE position, managing two FT reporters.

At the time, they had a no opinion column policy, but I believe that has since been lifted.

When I was there 10 years ago, the area was pretty depressed. Probably hasn't got much better since then.

6. johnstegeman

johnstegeman New Member

They are filling the spot for the second time in five months. I was sports editor there from Nov. 2008 until Dec. 2010.

Heartland can be rough to work for but the people at the paper, specifically the managing editor, are great. Lots of great high school sports to cover in the area.

I enjoyed working there, but it was a challenge.

Draft saved Draft deleted