1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor -- Port Charlotte, Fla.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jay Sherman, Jun 27, 2008.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Harpoon Harry's.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, with plenty of experience.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Been there too... good times...

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

is there a bar or strip club in the eastern time zone that you haven't stepped foot inside?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I can tell you the last time I was in a strip club -- 2000, Cheetah's in Sarasota. Walked in the door with a buddy and a bar owner buddy from Ann Arbor and the first person we saw was another patron from the Ann Arbor bar...

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Mitch doesn't have the number to all the local Sober Rides handy ...

7. goneup

goneup Member

Regarding the paper ... I'm surprised by the knocks on the paper. I interviewed (and had to turn down a job on the news desk) there about 13 years ago and thought they were way ahead of the game with the online operation and some tech issues. I guess over time, maybe they haven't evolved and have fallen beneath the curve. The place did strike me as a bit cult-ish. If someone had a problem, even small, their solution was to form a committee.
    Is it still family owned? I seem to remember a family member working as some type of hands-on editor.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

If you're talking about who I think you're talking about, that's a GREAT clue not many will get.

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

The Rockbottom Pipeline can confirm that Patrick Obley, a writer at The State in Columbia, S.C., has accepted this position. Obley is an alum of The Sun, and apparently isn't the only one bailing from The State in recent days ...

Congrats, Patrick. Best of luck in the new gig!

RB

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Nice catch for Port Charlotte. He was a good one in Columbia. If he carries that hunger south with him, this will work out nicely.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

(Full disclosure) I consider Pat a friend, so rip me if you like -- I feel more than comfortable saying this:

I have long thought Pat to be one of the best journalists in the state of South Carolina. He and Kent Babb wrote an amazing series on segregation and sports in SC not too long ago, and he was regularly writing some of the best takeouts.
    Of late, his position in Columbia -- like many others in papers around the country -- had been scaled back to be more local. It hamstrung him a little.
    I'm happy to hear that he's going to a good gig; he certainly deserves a fresh look.

As for the State, Pat's loss will be a hard hit. He knows the state colleges, high schools, USC, etc., etc., in South Carolina. It will be interesting to see what happens w/o him.

12. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I'm so unbelievably late to the party here, but I, too, think the world of Pat. I've only had the pleasure of running into him a time or two, but I've read his stuff the last couple years and he's done a fantastic job at The State. I certainly wish him the best of luck in Florida.

Draft saved Draft deleted