1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor -- Port Charlotte, Fla.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jay Sherman, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Herr Postins used to march in the Nord-Texas-Gebiet.

2. just out of curiosity, what good bars are there? i grew up there and it sucks for a young person. there's a reason why it's called port toilet. and as far as emerald city is concerned, no respecting guy period would go in there. make the drive to tampa and go to the mons.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If I remember correctly, there's a great wings and beer joint called Gators for starters...

4. Ok gators is marginal. I guess I can give you that one.

5. Sam Craig

Sam Craig Member

Actually, if Gators is what I think it is, Gators is pretty damn good.

Now for a question that was asked earlier. Anyone know what happened to John Finneran?

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

A bump, and also a pass-along from a friend on the condition of Port Charlotte ...

---

There are so many slam-dunk issues that could be fixed there -- like, budgeting stories for more than five minutes in advance, coordination with news desk, etc. It would be fish-in-a-barrel stuff for a good six months while evaluating talent, strengths, weaknesses, etc.

The building and infrastructure SUCKS. When a good half of the computers can't even get online, and even fewer can call up PDFs from e-mail ... you have a BIG problem. They say help is on the horizon, but the entire room needs new equipment. The press sucks, producing good registration one day and blurry crap the next. Their HS tab from last year was a wreck, because the cover and half the inside pages looked like those 3-D pages you need the special glasses for.

Staff seems halfway eager to do something decent, but has NO leadership whatsoever. I find it hard to believe Finneran actually gave 1/10th of a shit about anything, to let it get to this point. And the day I walk in is his LAST day anywhere near the product. A mediocre -- at best -- "columnist".

News judgment sucks, but that comes from having no voice saying "hey, this and that are important". One of the days they had me look at, the CENTERPIECE and a FULL inside page were devoted to the Tour de France. Um, hello? Rays in a slide out of first!

ME isn't the guy running things, though he thinks he is. Porter is the guy.

Their online operation is a clusterfuck on the highest order. I understand if the brass doesn't believe in this newfangled Interwebs thing, but c'mon -- why even HAVE a website if you aren't even going to try? On their sports stuff, there aren't high school entries since JANUARY. Geez.

A person could go down and put 50-60 percent of themselves into it, and make it shine like a new penny compared to now. Not sure about wanting the headaches, though.

*** Edit from the same friend ... *** I forgot to tell you about their "redesign" they wanted to do. They want to go from a broadsheet Sports section to a tab. Like, in two weeks time. Without any layout samples, solid press configuration or even the 100 percent go-ahead from the publisher. Seat of your pants, anyone?

---

I believe a decision has been made, or is about to be made on this one ... so sayeth the Rockbottom Pipeline, anyway.

rb

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Sources close to the situation tell me this is about to be a done deal.

rb

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And the winner is ....?

9. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Brett Favre

10. Word I hear is that the last interviewee is due in there today.

And with regard to the name listed above, you may not be that far off. ;)

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Traded to Port Charlotte for a conditional draft pack from next spring's UF J-school graduates.

If Port Charlotte moves Favre to the Vikings, they have to send the Packers one effin' stud from a top-five J-school for each of the next three years.

12. Twinkilling

Twinkilling Guest

I'm amazed how much talk this job has gotten. My parents live in PC and the paper, especially the sports section, strikes me as a rag. Guess the new guy will think of that as a challenge.

As for the bar scene, there's a nice one at the end of a pier in Punta Gorda, but I can't for the life of me think of the name. That's when you've been to a good bar. It erases all memory. Come on. That's a setup line. Finish it.

Draft saved Draft deleted