1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor -- Port Charlotte, Fla.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jay Sherman, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

From JJobs:

The Sun newspaper, located on Florida¹s Gulf Coast, is searching for a dynamic sports editor to lead a talented staff into a new era. We are looking for a person with management experience who is comfortable coaching writers and planning sports coverage that includes high schools, college and pro sports. The person should embrace community involvement as much as they do good writing. Send resumes to John Hackworth, 23170 Harborview Road, Charlotte Harbor, FL. 33980 or via email, hackworth@sun-herald.com.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=943765

Circulation is 38,000. Right on the Gulf of Mexico between Sarasota and Ft. Myers. Port Charlotte is also the home of Florida Gulf Coast University, an Atlantic Sun Conference member (D-1 hoops!).

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I like the area... good golf, good bars

3. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Not entirely accurate about being the home of FGCU. It's a satellite campus. Perhaps they cover them, but FGCU's campus and all its sports are played on a location between Fort Myers and Naples.

EDIT: Will be the new home of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays spring training, though. That's a plus.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Insurance is insanely high, but that's to be expected. Didn't a hurricane roll through there a couple of years ago.

5. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Hurricane Charley took a hard right and shot up to 140mph in order to pay a visit

6. Jason Martin

Jason Martin New Member

I've dealt with John Fineran a few times. He was a nice guy. Anybody know why he left and where?

7. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Thanks for the clarification, Freddie. Looked it up on Google Maps and just saw Port Charlotte listed for FGCU.

8. Kroog City

Kroog City Member

I can't speak much for the paper, but I know the area pretty well.

PM if you wanna know about the local and high school sports.

By the way, FGCU is in ESTERO, just under an hour away (out of season) from PC. I just graduated from there and have lived in the area for 15 years.

9. Kroog City

Kroog City Member

...actually, in order to get a damn Nintendo Wii I had to head out to close to that area.

Geez.

10. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

You learn something new every day. I always thought (I guess assumed) that Florida Gulf Coast would be in the Pensacola area, somewhere on the panhandle.

Guess it proves I don't know shit, just like the readers always say...

11. Kroog City

Kroog City Member

I would have enjoyed things a lot more in the panhandle a whole lot more.

Panama City/Tally are a hell of a lot more fun than Ft. Myers/Naples. : /

Port Charlotte is even easier to stay out of trouble in - unless you spend most of your nights at Emerald City... But that is no place any self-respecting SE would go to anyhow... actually I would think the SE in PC prob wouldn't have time (or money) for that anyway.

12. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

A self-respecting SE would head on north to Tampa and visit Mons Venus...

At least that's what I've been told...

Draft saved Draft deleted