1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor -- Port Charlotte, Fla.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Dec 22, 2015.

1. PM_Obley

PM_Obley New Member

Celtic Ray and the Icehouse just about make Punta Gorda worth it by themselves

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Punta Gorda used to be a Podunk town, right?
    And then they rebuilt the entire town after the hurricane?

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

When I was there Punta Gorda was a cool little old Florida town but it clearly has changed. I rented a 2br/2bath house for 460/mo in 1997 in Port Charlotte. Only thing I really miss.

4. PM_Obley

PM_Obley New Member

I was there just before the hurricane, then again four years after. Yes, Punta Gorda had a heckuva facelift.

5. JV37

JV37 New Member

I've been on staff as a sports writer here for almost two years now, so PM me if you have any questions about the job. I'll be happy to answer any questions I can about the paper/area.

6. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

No nicotine users need apply? That would have disqualified about 75 percent of my co-workers at my first job in the early '80s.

Can't speak for the work atmosphere there otherwise. But that's a nice part of Florida. Our shop has a content-sharing agreement with them, and the people I've dealt with have been terrific.

7. bevo

bevo Member

Place is not as cheap as it once was, like much of Florida. Expect to pay $1,000 a month for a decent place. I would guess the pay would be mid-upper $30s.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My parents live in Punta Gorda. I have enjoyed reading the Sun on my visits there. And yes. PG is much nicer since the hurricane blew out a bunch of old, broken-down crap. I like the Ice House, and have always had a soft sopt for Harpoon Harry's.

9. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

After doing a little stringing for them a couple months ago, Port Charlotte has gotten better on the internet, at least when it comes to covering their preps. But my dealings with the people there were very very good.

10. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

A major columnist-beat guy for a former MLB team there tipped me off on the job, in fact recommended me years back. I had some phone conversations with management but the pay was so bad, even compared to the twice a week rag I worked at and knew I needed to go daily to go up, I just couldn't see it as a good move. I was disappointed (in the pay) because it did seem like an intriguing move. But I've moved well out of the line of work so I don't know if it was a mistake on my part or not.

11. IndyScott818

IndyScott818 New Member

I interviewed for this position and was informed yesterday that they're going to make an offer. And it wasn't to me so I have no idea who it is

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Wasn't to me. :(

Draft saved Draft deleted