1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor -- Port Charlotte, Fla.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Dec 22, 2015.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Description:

IF sports is in your blood, we need to talk about our sports editor's job at the Sun newspaper on Florida's Gulf coast. We are in a sports-crazy market, spring training home for the Tampa Bay Rays and a hotbed for prep sports, Tampa Bay Bucs and Miami Dolphins fanatics. We are looking for a person with experience covering multiple prep teams with the use of staff and stringers. We want someone with a vision and a person capable of mentoring our writers to tell compelling stories that other newspapers might miss. Send resumes to jhackworth@sun-herald.com. The Sun is a drug-and-nicotine-free workplace. We do not hire nicotine users. Pre-employment drug/nicotine testing required.

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports editor

2. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Anyone know anything about this place? Size of staff and how many schools covered? Possible salary?

3. PM_Obley

PM_Obley New Member

Punta Gorda is a tremendous small burg. Port Charlotte, its dumpy twin across the river, has all the required strip mall stores and chain food joints. Englewood is your beach. Very underrated. Boca Grande isn't far, either (glorious). Equidistant from Fort Myers and Sarasota. In addition to Rays spring training, there is a GARGANTUAN college baseball invitational that lasts a month going on at the same time with many D-I schools, including a lot of the Big Ten. Good, good people working inside the building, people I would go to war for, but the paper's overall philosophy with the internet is very behind the times, putting it kindly. All photogs are stringers. If you apply, make sure you inquire about the page production setup as they might be using this time as an opportunity to shift to a universal desk, which might shift what they are looking for in their SE. Great place to live, cost of living is shockingly low, but be warned that your work will not be all that visible cyber-wise. I can say a lot more. I was the SE before the most recent one and have spent plenty of years there. My handle on SJ.com used to be FreddiePatek. Lost my user info, lol. Feel free to hit me up.

4. ScottJBryan

ScottJBryan Member

Where is Mark going?

5. PM_Obley

PM_Obley New Member

He's taking over as SE in Bradenton

6. ScottJBryan

ScottJBryan Member

Good for him. Enjoyed talking with Mark from time to time. Between Obley and Mark Lawrence, they've had some damn-good SEs the last two rounds.

7. PM_Obley

PM_Obley New Member

Indeed, Mark is very good people. The Obley dude was sketchy ;)

8. ScottJBryan

ScottJBryan Member

Most Royals fans are. :) #SadMetsFanOverHere

PM_Obley likes this.
  9. PM_Obley

PM_Obley New Member

Won't be long now ... We Royals fans are well on our way to being insufferable!

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Will second every thing said by PM Obley. Great area, with Boca Grande and Englewood among the best beach/outdoors places in the USA. Have spent many summer vacations on the quiet beaches of Englewood/Manasota Key. Cost of living was very low when I lived there, and there's plenty to do. Though it is more of a family-oriented place and as a single young guy at the time, I was bored out of my mind. The staff when I was there was tiny, and even then the desk was universal, which I also did not enjoy as a sports guy. I got out as quickly as I could because I was fresh out of college, but this is a good smaller-shop job, and hopefully the pay is far better than what I was making back in the late 90s.

11. PM_Obley

PM_Obley New Member

It has gotten a little better for single folk. Punta Gorda completely reinvented itself as a night spot following Hurricane Charley in 2004. As for the pay ... well ... you know ... better, but ...

BDC99 likes this.
  12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree about Punta Gorda. Would be a great place to live.

Draft saved Draft deleted