1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor; Pocatello, Idaho

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Stitch, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

From JournalismJobs at http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1143906

Anyone know what happened with Tim Flagstad?

Company: Idaho State Journal
    Position: Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: February 22, 2010

Description:
    The Idaho State Journal is looking for a creative and hardworking individual to lead our sports staff. We are located in the mountain country of Southeast Idaho where outdoor activities abound, from skiing to mountain biking to hunting and fishing. We're also close enough to Salt Lake City and Boise to make for quick weekend getaways if a taste of big city life is needed. The Journal is based in Pocatello, the home of Division I-AA Idaho State University. Pocatello's a city of more than 50,000 people that's consistently ranked as one of the best places in the country for quality of life, outdoor recreation and small business climate. We're looking for a sports editor who wants to create a sports section that has a mix of traditional sports coverage and innovation to attract new readers to the section. We also want to improve on our already strong Internet presence, which currently includes sports blogs, video and regular updates on local games. The job requires night and weekend work as well as a strong passion for sports of all types, beyond the traditional favorites. Our sports coverage has been a winner of state and national awards and we want to be even more successful and creative by developing a section that captures the attention of all our readers, not just die-hard sports fans. Previous sports department or newsroom management experience is preferred for this position. A passion for newspapering-especially sports journalism-is required. Please send your resume and clips to Journal Editor Ian H. Fennell at 305 S. Arthur, Pocatello, ID 83204 or email everything to him at editor@journalnet.com.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Per a mention in this piece from Idaho State's athletic department, he pulled the handle on his newspaper ejection seat.

3. tflagstad

tflagstad New Member

I accepted a position — yes, out of newspapers — in my home state. I enjoyed my time in Pocatello immensely, though.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

This thread can't top a previous one for an SE opening here.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/30425/

Unless you can beat a previous SE getting a DUI and getting busted for having pot after your farewell party.

5. Larry Graham

Larry Graham Member

congrats on the new gig, Tim.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

As a previous SE at this paper, I can answer questions about the paper and town. Tim, obviously, knows it better because he's current.

But aside from covering really crappy college sports, this is a pretty good job in many ways. You will not get rich, but you will write a lot, edit a lot and learn a lot.

7. Runnin Rebel

Runnin Rebel Member

Is this still a six-man shop, or has the State Journal seen cutbacks in staffing?

8. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Is designing pages part of the gig here?

9. RFB-Boy

RFB-Boy Member

You know, for someone who's put in a couple years as a reporter or sports desker, this'd be a good gig. I worked in sports in Twin Falls from 2003-08 and got to work with some of the ISJ folks during that span. It's always been fairly solid with seemingly agreeable folks.

Pocatello isn't the first place I'd want to live, but its a decent size and not too far from SLC if you're really desperate for a larger city. If you can come in with a solid nose for news, you could do some really great statewide work relating to the IHSAA, as few sports writers are delving into that pond right now.

And while ISU ain't Duke -- don't tell their grads that though -- it's still college sports, which offers you a wide variety of issues and personalities a lot of similar markets don't afford a writer with.

Oh, and if you write an off-base, understudied editorial on the football team moving down a notch in the NCAA ranks, they'll give the coach a contract extension in response. So you can do good for John Zamberlain too!

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I thought it was less than that. At least full-timers anyway.

11. Counting the editor, there are three of us, and we all have both writing and page designing responsibilities. Also, to be honest, we're not sure it ever was six people in sports. It used to be four, but as far as we know, it's never been six.

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I was SE there several years ago. We had four FTs on staff and couple of quality part-timers covering games. Not sure if it exists now, but there was an extensive cooperative effort between newspapers in neighboring areas that had competing schools, but not overlapping circulation areas. A lot of story swapping, with appropriate alternate ledes, going on when Team A from Paper A was playing at Team B from Paper B and so on.

Draft saved Draft deleted