1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Pocatello Idaho

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jersey_Guy, Aug 8, 2006.

1. mose

mose Member

I'm wondering how it's going to pan out with his wife, who also is/was employed at the ISJ. The arrest was indeed the byproduct of his going-away party, and apparently she didn't find out about it until one of Pocatello's finest called the ME Friday morning, telling him he had his SE in the drunk tank. It seems that the wife, who was in the newsroom at the time, thought BS had simply crashed at someone else's house. Not then, but maybe the following night.

I don't necessarily think a DUI is a black flag in this business -- lord knows plenty of us have one, or three -- although the timing might make it so in this case. But I suspect if Duluth gives BS the George O'Leary treatment, it will be because of the possession charge.

Regardless how you feel about the guy, I can't think anyone is gloating over this.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Good point, though with this guy - fuck that. He has been a piece of shit since I met him and we were in the same chain. While I don't find it amusing that he went down this way, I do find it amusing that he went down after all the shit he talked - call it "'My Name is Earl' good fucking Karma" baby.
    Anyway, I feel bad for the wife and kids, but after dealing with BS for four-fucking years, I can't say I feel bad for him at all.
    And for future employees, unless they get a good SE in there, fuck Pocatello, it is not as good as - Moderator Idaho - remembers.

3. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

You've probably never heard the Kevin Hall story then.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ok, maybe i should have said a dui is death for a new employee at any stop other than the deep south, where something such as this must be rather amusing.

5. TRS-80

TRS-80 New Member

ISJ could always bring back the inimitable Bob Brundage to run the department.

6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Just gotta say that I normally would not laugh at this, but the guy's earlier posts were so dripping with self-reverence that it's hilarious.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

nervous twitch suddenly returns

thanks, jerk!

8. mose

mose Member

No, I've never heard the Kevin Hall story. Sounds like a potentially entertaining tale.

Don't be badmouthing Brundage. Since he left, bowling coverage in Southeast Idaho has taken a nosedive, and the ISJ sports section has suffered from a severe deficiency of boxing analogies.

Does that answer your question, Idaho?

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

All I know is Bob Brundage berated me over the phone once for turning down his offer to cover some high school games as a freelancer. It seems the other offer I had to take over a D-I college beat for a 150k paper didn't impress him.

10. mose

mose Member

My reference was to your PM before the site went kaput. My familiarity to the ISJ dates back to the Brundage era -- when you were still at Bear Lake HS.

And like you, the recollection of it all gives me a nervous tic.

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

If you worked there in the late 80s, you probably typed my name into a basketball box score several times. It most likely read 'Idaho, 1 0-0 2.'

12. mose

mose Member

... Ah, Ken Parks. There's a guy I haven't thought about in quite awhile. I had blissfully gone many years without thinking of Brundage as well. Thanks a lot, TRS-80.

Draft saved Draft deleted