1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Pocatello Idaho

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jersey_Guy, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Sorry for waiting so long, folks. I was enjoying a few days on the beach with a waverunner and the Tater Tots.

IMPO, this is a pretty good job. Lots of potential and lots of freedom to do your thing and grow as a journalist. I'm not going to engage in any of the mudslinging. That's in the past and doesn't matter since this is a changing of the guard we're talking about.

Again, IMPO, I'd rather have the Poky Se job than the I.F. SE job, nothing personal Mitch and other I.F. folks. Covering a I-AA college, even if it's not a bigtime program, beats the hell out of the Tiger-Grizz rivalry every day of the week. ;)

I am a former SE at this paper and lived in Poky for five years and SE Idaho for about 25 years, so if anyone wants a 'local' perspective on the job, the town and the paper, let me know via PM and I'll be happy to give you my honest opinion. And, if I weren't happily secure where I am, I'd be very interested in this job -- again.

2. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I hear their Shrimp Sensations are tremendous.

3. YerkillinmePetey

YerkillinmePetey New Member

Idaho -- None taken.

I have my own reasons why I prefer my job over the Poky job, but since my job isn't the one up for grabs (yet, anyway), I'll leave them alone except to say I'm a pretty loyal guy (I know, I know, but I'm still young enough to have a couple years left on that particular warranty) and I'd also create a pretty terrible reputation for myself if I left now, for any paper, since I took this job less than a month ago. :)

I will say, as I did before, it's not a bad market to cover at all. There's good reason to be optimistic in all three of Idaho State's major sports, and the high school teams are among the best in the state in every sport.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

http://www.journalnet.com/articles/2006/08/19/news/breaking/news01.txt

Is this how you bury the competition?

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow, that's something not even i can poke fun at.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Edit: Let me fix that Tom Petty:
    You can try.

7. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Jesus, this guy is a joke. Sooooo glad I was never desparate enough to apply there.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Hmmm. That's too bad. I feel very bad for his wife and children.

Wonder how this will play out at the paper he recently was hired by?

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Sounds like one hell of a going-away party.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

idaho - i don't know too many places that will employ you with a dui on your record.

11. I bet the future employer is second-guessing that hire right about now.

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I was kind of thinking how it will all shake out. His DUI and Pot arrest came on what looks to be a goodbye party/night from his (now) former paper. He had yet to step into the office at his new place.

The new place may go with the next-best candidate and he may be 'between jobs' for a while now.

Too bad for him and his family.

Draft saved Draft deleted