1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Pinehurst/Southern Pines

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by blacktitleist, Aug 26, 2009.

1. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Sports Editor (posted 8/26/09)

The Pilot, twice voted the best community paper in America, serves the unique Southern Pines/Pinehurst area. We've won awards and national recognition for our unprecedented coverage of two U.S. Opens and two U.S. Women's Opens. Now we're looking for a sports editor to take us to the next dimension. The winning candidate must be a strong writer and copy editor with good organizational skills, a willingness to work hard, proficiency in QuarkXPress pagination, ability to function well as part of a team, and a knack for leading a stable of stringers. Resumes, samples and references to sbouser@thepilot.com.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

How appropriate that blacktitleist posts this one.

3. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Here's at least one enticing thing about this job .... the US men's and women's Opens are both at Pinehurst in a couple years (2012 maybe??) And they are being played in back-to-back weeks. Imagine what a ride that will be for the person in this position.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

That is if they remain at the gig. Don't know anything but just a hunch its a place where someone with talent and luck won't be at for very long.

5. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

The old SE was there forever, so not so sure this would be that much of a stepping stone. Plus, absolutely beautiful area.

6. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

If golf's not your thing, you need not apply.

7. thebigd

thebigd Member

Is this a 1-man gig? I know nothing about the area other htan it's great for golf

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

It's a tri-weekly that publishes on Sunday, Wednesday and Friday. It is a one-man gig but stringers are available. The Pilot is an excellent paper and if you like community journalism, it could be a destination, not a stepping stone. I kind of liken Pinehurst to an inland Hilton Head. It is a beautiful area. And they do not just cover golf. Just look at their Web site and you'll see that.

The only drawback is it's expensive, so salary could be an issue. I don't know what they pay but it does appear they are well staffed for a nondaily.

9. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

You get everything from golf to drag racing (Rockingham Dragway is pretty close). There are some awesome golf courses not named Pinehurst in the area as well. If I were single and younger I would be all over this because the area is such a great place. And Steve Earwood, the owner of Rockingham Dragway, is one of the best people you will meet. He used to be a sportswriter a long time ago and his PR company (Denswood Inc., with a guy named Dave Densmore) has John Force and that whole crew as clients. He has some great stories. This is a great gig if they pay anything.

10. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Just curious Carlton, but what do you think our lovelies think when we write, "If I were single and younger?" Hahaha. ... Seriously, I know what you mean. On top of that, I know Dave Densmore a little. Great guy, GREAT PR guy. Short story: Three years ago, before the NHRA stopped in the wine country of Sonoma, I hooked up with Dave at an AM/PM in Elk Grove, about 15 minutes south of, not Lake Tahoe, but Sacramento, so he could hand off a CD of pix of the late Team Force Funny Car pilot Eric Medlen for a pre-Sonoma feature we did at the paper where I SE'd. He didn't have to, but he did. He made it happen. ... This sounds like a gig that would be equal parts challenging and fun. You know, if I were younger and ...

11. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Densmore is a great, great guy. When my son was born it came right in the middle of the IHRA race at Rockingham. I had duties I had to take care of for the sanctioning body. Densmore stepped in and handled everything for me so I could head home to be with my wife. And you are right about the "If I were younger and single..." Good thing my wife is not a SportsJournalists.com visitor. She would want to have a word or two with me.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This has become a Densmore love thread but I will second all that. Among the very best I have worked with anywhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted